Thread: Lost a tooth, what will the dentist do?

Lost a tooth, what will the dentist do?

Hi guys,

I haven't been to the dentist for a loooong time & the other day, a tooth I had that was broken already, came out! I thought it'd cleanly come out but I noticed it looked like there was a TINY bit of tooth left in the gum. So I've bit the bullet & made an appointment at the dentist for friday, but I'm worried about what he's gonna do, will he cut the last bit of tooth out or just leave it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks x

'You can never win or lose, if you don't run the race'

Re: Lost a tooth, what will the dentist do?

Hi there ... poor old you! It could be a bit of the root. He will probably just drill it out. Whatever, the dentist will sort it out and you won't feel it as you will be numb. If it is a back tooth he may well leave it at that but, depending on where it is, he may well have to do a post crown. That is, if the tooth has completely gone he will cement a post in and then a new tooth. I've just had a new crown fitted today. He will have to do root canal treatment as well, but again, although it takes a bit of time, you won't feel it. The normal procedure, if you do need a crown, is one appointment to prepare (which will include taking an impression, so that the dental technician can make you a nice new tooth) and another, perhaps two weeks later, to have the new tooth cemented in. In the meantime he will fashion you a temporary tooth so that you don't have a gummy smile! I suffer from HA and hate anything medical including going to the dentist - even though he is my brother-in-law! If you are worried about the injection, this is what I think to myself .... my bro-in-law has been practising for many years, he must have given billions of injections and he has never had a problem with any patients! Good luck on Friday .... and just think how nice it will be to have your teeth fixed and a nice shiny smile!!!

Re: Lost a tooth, what will the dentist do?

Same thing happened to me a few years ago . I got a crown put on it but was told at the time there wasn,t much to bond the crown to . Sadly the crown kept comeing off (no biggie) so they pulled the root out , you could hardly see the root , but a quick injection (felt nothing) and he pulled the root out . You feel a bit of pressure and then its all over !

Had another one at the back last year which was snapped off when eating it had been filled many times and was knackered . Again i felt nothing when it was taken out . If its at the back you might want to get it wipped out rather than a crown but thats up to you .

Nothing to worry about they have done and seen it all before

Forgot to say if it can,t be crowned they can do a bridge , which i might do this year , but 2 x bridges is over £400 even on the nhs and you can,t see my gaps as there at the back , so maybe not !

Thread Information