Thread: Stomach issues -- pain under ribs

Stomach issues -- pain under ribs

Hi all...

I am in the grip of another HA nightmare.

Earlier in the year, I had a severe anxiety attack, which left me shaking for hours afterwards.

The next day I felt like I had been kicked in the ribs on the right side, which then led to really bad burning and pain in my stomach area. I eventually went to the doctors and he suggested gastritis and prescribed me some PPI's. I took these for about 2 weeks , then came off (I was fearful of rebound). After that I had some mild pains, but was very careful with what I ate or drank. Things continued to get better, so I was super happy, especially as I have met a really nice man and we have been dating for a couple of months (I have been on my own for over 8 years after an abusive marriage).

Things did get better for a while. The last week or so, I was completely symptom free!

So, two days ago I woke up and stomach pains are back!! Not really severe, but definitely there about where my ribs part in the middle, and pain under the rib on the right. So, I went back to the doctor. Now he has arranged for me to have an endoscopy, and I am freaking out. A couple of things he said "As you have never had gastritis before" like it is a bad omen, and "given your age!" (56). Now it feels like I have been handed a stomach cancer diagnosis :-(

Its like fate is having a cruel joke... I meet a lovely man and now I have no future

I spent a lot of time this afternoon trying comfort myself with logic and statistics (its a big part of my job, and how my mind works:

My doctor did a lot of blood tests which all came back normal -- h. pylori, Full blood count, Iron levels, electrolyte(?)s etc;
    1 in 154 women will be diagnosed with SC, so thats .65% by my reckoning, so over a 99% chance I dont have it?;
    65% of diagnosis are over the age of 65;
    I don't have any of the known risk factors (overweight, smoker, h.pylori etc, etc);
    I haven't lost weight, my bowels are the same as ever;

I also tried to convince myself that it might be because I used some of the milk that I had left out in the sun all day, or the mozzarella that tasted slightly "off" because the bag had split..

I have no idea how long I will have to wait for the appointment, I didn't ask. I just remember him saying "we can make a case for you to have and endoscopy"

It feels like a sick joke, I meet someone, and now I have no future

HA is such a curse.

Re: Stomach issues -- pain under ribs

Just get the endoscopy done then you will know for sure that you don't have SC. 56 is a great age to meet someone new, I was 56 when I met my partner and 5 years on we're still going great

Your gp is following a standard procedure to diagnose your problems. Chances are you have reflux, or maybe an ulcer. These things are treatable, and you’ll get treatment.

I am also following the same diagnosis track - my endoscopy is in 3 weeks time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks both for your kind replies

I have now developed a pain at the back/side of my ribs on the right, towards the bottom of my rib cage. (I made a mistake in my original post, the initial rib pain which started this off was on the left side where the top of the stomach is).

Its not constant, but I have had it for a couple of days, along with the burning/pain in the centre. I can't stop thinking about it, and am really scared.

My GP said to me last week, that if I get any further symptoms/worsening I should go straight back, which sounds like he is suspecting something really bad. I am now thinking I should make an urgent appointment on Tuesday (Monday being a Bank Holiday).

My daughter has come home, she is suffering with acute anxiety and depression, and I am struggling to stay normal for her. She keeps asking why I am so quiet.

Wisemonkey -- yes, I can't remember when I last felt like this towards someone romantically.. I just don't want to sabotage it like I always do, so I'm trying to keep t together. I am so glad to hear you are happy

Scaas -- have you had similar to me? Is that why you are having an Endoscopy

Jeepers xx

PS -- My sister in law died of stomach cancer in her Forties, and I saw my Dad die ver quickly from Advanced Lung cancer, so its in my mind a lot
    Last edited by Inanna; 27-05-18 at 11:14. Reason: Clarification

Not feeling much better

Yesterday I had a weird pain just to the right of the top if my hi. It only hurt (sharp) when I stood up after being sitting down.

IT went away as the day went on,
    My appetite is still rubbish, and I am not eating that well. Yesterday, in the evening, I went to the pub after a walk and had a pint of orange juice. Since then I have felt awful, really nauseous. I feel quite tired too, after my walk I felt a bit wiped out.

I just don't know whether I should go back to the docs on an urgent appointment, or wait for my 'scope appointment

Yes I get a pressure under where my bra sits. Usually when I remove my bra it goes. It’s after eating & I get reflux symptoms too.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm in a dark place right now, I'm just not sure how much longer I can go on. I'm trying to be strong for my kids, but to be honest, if I could just close my eyes and go to sleep forever, it would be a merciful release from the torment I am putting myself through. I can't stop crying, I don't know what to do with myself.

Today, I haven't had too much pain or burning, quite mild really. However, I have had a strange pain in my back, slightly lower than the waistline, and slightly to the left of my spine. It comes and goes, is quite sharp and is like a sharp pulsing twinge for about 30 seconds, then goes away for a while. I stupidly googled "pain in mid back" and it came back as a red flag for doctors diagnosing cancer, which has spread to the bones.

I haven't heard anything about my endoscope appointment, the waiting and wondering is too much to bear.

I keep getting flashbacks to my Dad dying, and I really don't want to put my (grown up )kids through that

I'm sorry to be so weak, I just want it all to stop,

Could you go back to your doctor and tell them all this?

Do you take any medication to help?

Thread Information