Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: New puppy and Anxiety???

Re: New puppy and Anxiety???

I'm so pleased that she's already working her puppy magic on you..and softening up Mr B!! She sounds as if she's going to be the perfect companion for you!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm so pleased that she's already working her puppy magic on you..and softening up Mr B!! She sounds as if she's going to be the perfect companion for you!
    Little bugger has run me ragged this morning. Fifteen mins of tug on the floor and my sciatica is back.

I managed to escape to Starbucks for a hot chocolate this morning. (I sat there with the Ring camera app open).

Aside the first night, she's been clean in her crate at night. (I've obviously jinxed myself now)

20221120_102716-01.jpg

Pooch had her second trip in the car today. This was her approximately half an hour before my son pipes up from the back of the car, 'Mum, there's a situation here'. (Vomiting)

My lad doesn't do bodily fluids, so we had to pull over and change seats. Pooch doesn't seem anxious in the car (as you can see from the pic), but she vommed on the first journey too, so I'm thinking car sickness?

I left it a good hour and a half after feeding her before we went out. (Even so, BLEUGH!)

Any tips?

My dog just seemed to grow out of it. She did it when she was very little but then it stopped on its own.

Sorry that isn't much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    My dog just seemed to grow out of it. She did it when she was very little but then it stopped on its own.

Sorry that isn't much help.
    Not at all. It gives me hope lol

We really want to be able to take this dog most everywhere with us - something that we were unable to do with our old girl due to her anxiety..

Third trip in the pap-pap and pooch no likey.

Trip one (threw up)
    Trip two (threw up)
    Trip three (I ended up holding her on the back seat (she was clipped into the seat belt), and she was instantly calmer and quietened down, but she had a little puke when we got home.

I'm hoping this is puppy stuff and she'll outgrow this car sickness because the plan is to take her to most places (Something that we couldn't do with our old girl due to her anxiety).

I will try her in her travel crate today. The booster seat we got her is a no-no (£30 up the shitter) as she refuses to stay in it and cries in-between voms.

Can't use food treats because there is obviously car sickness going on, so that'll make matters worse. (I'm using toys instead).

I should add that the car journeys at the moment are really short ones, but this is leading up to a 120-mile round trip on Boxing Day.

Give me your tips, people.

Have you ever tried Zylkene ? Is there a specific anti-emetic for puppies with car sickness?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Have you ever tried Zylkene ? Is there a specific anti-emetic for puppies with car sickness?
    That might be option going forwards, however, we had some success yesterday...

So, poocheroo doesn't like the travel crate either. She made an awful racket, and was not happy at all, so I got her out and clipped her harness into the seatbelt on the middle seat. She was lay next to me on a blanket and she shut up straight away. In fact, she was really chilled. (She dozed off at one point).

We got home and I'd just got out of the car when I heard her making those pre-vom noises, so I just held her over a pothole while she was sick.

Seems like she's one of those hounds who like to be on the back seat? (Mind you, she also likes the sofa).

We will try her again today to make sure it wasn't a fluke and regards the car sickness, we will see how she goes. She's only a puppy so she could outgrow it. (Vet won't give her anything yet).

I really wanted my boy to ride in a crate in the car too, but he hated it so I had to get him a seatbelt instead. He does pretty well with the belt, thankfully, though it requires a lot of tossing treats from the front on my part.

She may grow out if it with a bit of time.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I really wanted my boy to ride in a crate in the car too, but he hated it so I had to get him a seatbelt instead. He does pretty well with the belt, thankfully, though it requires a lot of tossing treats from the front on my part.

She may grow out if it with a bit of time.
    She definitely prefers to be on the backseat. (Clipped into the seatbelt, obvs).

No pukes yesterday too!

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread Information