Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: valium the only thing that helps??

Re: valium the only thing that helps??

SLA is trolling and trying to make people upset. I have tried a lot of medication, if it wasn't for 7.5mg of valium a day I would be dead at this point, it's the only thing that has let me eat enough food to gain weight and survive. It isn't perfect but I'd prefer to be addicted to valium and not die than not take it and kill myself because the panic attacks are too severe to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by djkhaled View Post
    SLA is trolling and trying to make people upset. I have tried a lot of medication, if it wasn't for 7.5mg of valium a day I would be dead at this point, it's the only thing that has let me eat enough food to gain weight and survive. It isn't perfect but I'd prefer to be addicted to valium and not die than not take it and kill myself because the panic attacks are too severe to live with.
    People often have a bias against mental health meds due to life experiences (themselves or others) and a result can be an over exaggeration or passionate responses.

I don't know if that's the case but what I do know is that SLA is not trolling. He can be direct at times by his own admission but helps plenty of people.

Quote Originally Posted by djkhaled View Post
    I don't think you need to use the word 'addiction' when you are taking a medication for good reason. That said, ultimately one becomes 'tolerant' to the effects. It's great it has been helping you to get your health back.

I ended up on a small dose for over a year as I was trying different meds and told to only change one thing at a time. Now things are a lot better I have been slowly tapering off the diazepam (only 2 m for thee past few months but was on 4 for the first few months and stopped tapering when changing other meds). My experience is the withdrawal is NOT worse than the original anxiety.

If a person is desperate and going out of their mind with anxiety, as I was, I think anything that works to help normalise is worth trying.

I agree, Shaz. Anxiety has a huge spectrum and when you're at the severest end you are prepared to take anything to help make you feel like a human being again. I think you need to have experienced this to appreciate it though and I can understand SLA's stance on diazepam. I'm sure I would have felt the same before my hospitalisations.

I'm never trolling.

I just say what I think, and sometimes people don't want to hear it, or they disagree. That's cool. If people post and hear only what they want to hear, then nobody makes any progress. I want people to think differently about things. It is, after all, thinking that gets us anxiety sufferers into the mess that we do.

Again, when I write a reply, I am responding to the person who initiated the thread. Whether people interpret what I am saying and apply it to their own circumstances, that is there choice, but it is those people who are bending my words and ideas, which is why I continually need to reassert my point.

Valium helped you survive, and eat? That's awesome. Why would anyone argue against that?

I hope you continue to recover, and can progress further.

I've got a particular "debt of gratitude" to diazepam because it helped me at a crisis in my life and I just didn't have the skills to pull myself out of it without benzo intervention. And I was also too ill.

However, my experience has got absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issues and I apologise for chipping in with my views.

God I love you.

People can say whatever they want, its a free country.

Just to summarise my point. Valium isn't a bad thing, but should be a last resort for anxiety. There is a good reason why you only get 5 given to you by the Doctor when you first go to him with anxiety/panic.

I think I need a valium after this thread. Anyone got one?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I think I need a valium after this thread. Anyone got one?
    God no, don't open the old "alcohol & Benzo" thing, you've got cider waiting!

Pulisa, you've nothing to apologise for. The OP asked for opinions, they got them and naturally we debate our points. Your points were equally valid as the rest.

Lol, it's funny, a few days after writing this topic one of my doctors asked for me to speak to my GP about my continued use for valium.

Seeing someone for my anxiety at the end of the month so hoping I can throw away the medication I'm currently on.

Ive been told by my therapist that with my GAD I'm at a road block because I carry too much anxiety - and that therapy can only go so far... (several therapist have said that)

He says yes Were going to carry on working with my issues - but that i need a good Benzo to make the therapy and self work effective, because I have anxiety that just wont go away with any...even if i do the same think 1000 times the level of anxiety between the first and the 1000th time is the same - and its so ingrained in my physiology and sub-consious - no amount of changing how I think will change it - because its beyond thoughts - its primal in me - and I just need a powerful mood med as Im exhausted all the time from my anxiety

oh and I'm on long-term ssri's which don't touch the sides

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information