Thread: Is 2mg of clonazapam too high

Is 2mg of clonazapam too high

I took 1mg this morning and 1mg this evening
    Is that too high? The doctor said I shouldn't take more than 3mg
    Any experienced users? I'm using this until celexa kicks in.

Re: Is 2mg of clonazapam too high

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    I took 1mg this morning and 1mg this evening
    Is that too high?
    The maximum recommended dose is 20mg/day and many epileptics take 10mg plus. If you need to take 2mg then it's okay. There is not point in taking any med at an ineffective dose.

Good point. I'm just worried about what will happen when it's time to come off. Is Clonazapam any more dangerous than xanax? My doctor wants me to try it for a few more days to compare it to xanax. I just upped my dose of celexa two days ago and so far not feeling any more anxious. I think i need to go up to the 40MG, instead of the 30 Which i'm on now.

I'm just worried about what will happen when it's time to come off. Is Clonazapam any more dangerous than xanax?
    Dangerous? No. Harder to discontinue? No, dose doesn't greatly affect withdrawal severity if weaned off at the same rate. It just tales a little longer. There are plenty of epileptics who have withdrawn from 20mg clonazepam after years at that dose.

Dependence tends to build more slowly with the long half-life benzodiazepines such as clonazepam, but if you were on Xanax for more than a month or two than you've probably developed a dependency and will need to wean off over a few weeks.

Also, withdrawal isn't just about chemistry and biology. Psychology is at least as important. Talk yourself into believing you will suffer greatly when you quit and your mind is quite capable of delivering that nightmare for you. This is the main reason epileptics seem to have a much easier time quitting benzodiazepines that we do despite often having been on much higher doses for longer. Most don't have the anxiety 'baggage' to contend with.

Thank you
    I've called my doctor to let her know I feel so flat and numb on the klonopin. Is that normal? Xanax seems to work better but I'm hoping I can do any over night switch? Xanax makes me feel happier and less anxious overall.

I've called my doctor to let her know I feel so flat and numb on the klonopin. Is that normal?
    It can be, but it could also be from your recent citalopram dose increase.

I switched back to Xanax 3 times a day, however it's only helping slightly. Now i'm wondering if the clonazepam would be better will the occasional Xanax as needed for a panic attack. My doctor said I could switch to the one that works best for me. I'm so confused! I just upped my dose of celexa (day 5 of 30MG), so that probably has something to do with it. Any thoughts on which one might work better panic down under?

I just upped my dose of celexa (day 5 of 30MG), so that probably has something to do with it.

I suspect it has a lot to do with it. It is likely boosting your anxiety levels above the ability of both Xanax and clonazepam to control it at your current doses. This should begin to ease soon as the brain adjusts to the higher Celexa dose.

Any thoughts on which one might work better
    This is something only you can determine. Xanax begins acting a little earlier than clonazepam, is usually more potent in the short term, but soon drops back as it is relatively quickly metabolized whereas clonazepam tends to give a smoother ride. It's Usain 'Xanax' Bolt versus Sebastian 'clonazepam' Coe. Each are/were great at their respective distances.

Thread Information