Thread: Increase in anxiety since starting

Increase in anxiety since starting

Hi
    So I'm now 5 days in on 50mg x 2 daily and I wasn't expecting overnight success but I have actually been feeling more intense anxiety over the past couple of days rather than a reduction.
    Has anyone else had this side effect?
    Pregabalin was the one drug I wasn't apprehensive about taking as increased anxiety is not listed as a side effect.
    The first 2 or 3 days I felt no side effects at all but yesterday anxiety increased, today it is worse and I now have a spaced out feeling as well as a dry mouth to boot.
    I know it's early days and I'm on a low dose but I wasn't expecting this and as a consequence my mood has dropped again and I feel very tearful and don't want to do much.
    I'm supposed to up my dose in a few days but now I'm worried that the increase will make the anxiety even worse.
    As ever any advice will be great fully appreciated. I was doing ok ish on 30mg mirt but not great, hence the add on of Pregabalin.

Re: Increase in anxiety since starting

Hi pixie

Increased anxiety isn't a listed side effect but I have seen a few people say it made them more anxious to begin with. For me my anxiety increased when I started taking them mainly because I was scared to take them.

As you say it's only day 5 on a low dose, I imagine it'll even out in a few days and the higher dose you go the more benefit you might feel. I was wrong on my other post as it seems 200-400mg is the sort of mid range for most people.

Hopefully some of the users who have been taking it much longer than me can give you some helpful tips for the pregabalin!

Best of luck!

Pregabalin 300mg

Thanks for your words of reassurance MP. I'm just struggling at the moment as I currently feel worse on the Pregabalin anxiety wise than I did when I was just on the mirtazapine.
    After reading all the positive reviews for Pregabalin online I think I was expecting this to be a wonder drug for me (although not immediately) so I'm so disappointed that the anxiety is worse at the moment.
    I've found an online patient leaflet which does list agitation and anxiety as rare side effects so I guess I'm one of the rare cases
    I'm going to stick it out for tomorrow but if I still feel like this by Tuesday I'll call the mental health team for advice. Normally by this time (10.30pm) I'm feeling pretty much normal but tonight I feel really edgy and my heart is beating faster than normal (I can physically feel this) so I'm now worried about whether I'll sleep tonight! Anxiety really does suck but I'll find the right meds eventually.
    Glad to hear that the med seems to be doing something for you though MP. Keep us posted and thanks again for the words of support.

No problem pixie I'm glad I could be of some help. Anxiety is a tough beast to put down at times so I know how you feel.

Pregabalin seems to be one of those drugs that either works amazingly, takes time to work or doesn't work at all. It's like all meds I guess in that you have no idea how it'll work til you try it. Keep on it for a bit longer and possibly try a slightly higher dose if your psychiatrist is OK with it. If it doesn't work then don't fret because there are other things you can try, mirtazapine seems to play nice with a variety of meds so don't give up hope!

I'll do that! If it's helpful to some I'm more than happy to keep posting my progress!

Good luck!

Pregabalin 300mg

Hi Pixie

The increased anxiety may just be anxiety at starting a new drug and what if fears if it doesnt work. Perfectly normal under the circumstances, as Claire Weekes would have said.

The good thing is that you managed to tolerate mirtazapine. I couldnt. As previous poster said, if Lyrica is still bothering you in a few days, you hauve plenty of other options.

akb

Quote Originally Posted by PixieP View Post
    Thanks for your words of reassurance MP. I'm just struggling at the moment as I currently feel worse on the Pregabalin anxiety wise than I did when I was just on the mirtazapine.
    After reading all the positive reviews for Pregabalin online I think I was expecting this to be a wonder drug for me (although not immediately) so I'm so disappointed that the anxiety is worse at the moment.
    I've found an online patient leaflet which does list agitation and anxiety as rare side effects so I guess I'm one of the rare cases
    I'm going to stick it out for tomorrow but if I still feel like this by Tuesday I'll call the mental health team for advice. Normally by this time (10.30pm) I'm feeling pretty much normal but tonight I feel really edgy and my heart is beating faster than normal (I can physically feel this) so I'm now worried about whether I'll sleep tonight! Anxiety really does suck but I'll find the right meds eventually.
    Glad to hear that the med seems to be doing something for you though MP. Keep us posted and thanks again for the words of support.

Pixie - did you carry on with this drug? My BP and pulse are sky high (day 2) but it could well be worry about taking yet another drug. I am also on 45mg Mirtazapine and 300 Quetiapine.

Thread Information