Thread: Exercise

Exercise

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with panic disorder 3 1/2 years ago and last year started with agoraphobia/social anxiety. I've been doing exposure therapy for a while now and it's working well.

I've found that exercise is a massive help for me, especially if it's the first thing I do in the morning. Apparently your cortisol and adrenaline levels build up over night which is why many people, including me, suffer from morning anxiety but I've found if I do a moderate cardio/strength workout followed by a yoga session I feel calm afterwards. This has helped so much so that this week I was able to walk onto the hospital and stand outside it (I have a huge fear of them) I couldn't believe how calm I was! And I credit a huge amount of this to exercise.

Thought it might help some other people too

Re: Exercise

Thanks for the tip! I always make sure to get a jog in before I go to work or college, it really does calm me down before hand. I also find it helpful to do some meditation beforehand or afterwards x

You're welcome.

Unfortunately I can't get out for a jog in the mornings as I have two small children but I find that an at home cardio workout helps just as much.
    I meditate also and i too find it very helpful x

I do 30 minutes daily.

Guys, try Krav Maga. It helps me feel less panicky and makes the stress and anxiety more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by DJHM View Post
    Guys, try Krav Maga. It helps me feel less panicky and makes the stress and anxiety more bearable.
    Do you handle the realistic scenarios they use in that? Adrenaline getting pumped would be a problem for me. But I can see how it would greatly increase confidence and work as exposure too.

Others on here have said martial arts is beneficial to them. But I've heard Krav Maga includes lifelike scenarios too.

Sounds like a good advise .. need to get my ass to the gym

Exercise is always a good anxiety reducer. As yoga and meditation as this slow the brain down.

Any form of regular exercise and meditation will help with most anxiety issues. Martial arts can be helpful, but not every has the time and patience to learn them fully to get them mental health benefits from them.

Hi Marie
    Ive had panic and depression for most of my life. Everyday for the last 30 yrs. i have started my day with a 3 mile run i cant live with out it. Im also vegetarian and eating clean really helps anxiety too.

Thread Information