Thread: Presentation and diazepam

Presentation and diazepam

Hi,

I've had anxiety all of my adult life (mainly social) but it's under control now - mainly through a process of not letting myself avoid things and building up that life experience. I still feel anxious often, but it's to a level where I can still do all the things I need to do. I'm so used to the feeling that I just take it as a given.

However, I have a big presentation coming up at work next week and I'm not sure how I'm going to get through it. I've been able to do small and short presentations in the past with the help of beta blockers but nothing on this level. Even beta blockers (40mg) only take the edge off. My anxiety is bizarre, mentally, I can get things under control... I'm not worried per se as I know the topic well. However, physically, I have almost no control over the trembling voice, mind going blank, shakes etc. It's humiliating and my physical symptoms are very, very strong even when my mind is focused and clear.

To my surprise, my GP agreed to prescribe a small supply of diazepam (2mg) at my request. I've never asked for this before and it will be my first time taking it. However, I'm worried about the potential for feeling drowsy as I'll need to be switched on. I have a high tolerance to alcohol and my adrenaline will by sky high so i'd have thought I'd be okay but after reading some scary posts online I'm not so sure.

Long term, I plan to try and get some training or specific help for pubic speaking. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Short term, should I try the diazepam? I also have my usual beta blockers.

Re: Presentation and diazepam

I think as a one off then no problem but it can be a slippery road to go down trust me I have been there. The diazepam will defo help but after the event, would you think you could do another presentation without them? Does that make sense? It actually says on the leaflet not to prescribe diazepam to anyone with phobia's or day to day anxiety. Any how I hope it goes well and good luck with the diazepam

Hi there. This is something that has hampered me all my life too and I am a teacher. I have used propanolol in the best and it has really worked.

Hello
    I'm a long time user of 2-4mg of Valium, until I developed tolerance withdrawal.
    I have agoraphobia, and probably a journey to the local shops for me, is comparable to your big presentation.

IMO. 2mg is not strong enough to be effective against 'severe' anxiety. 5mg would.
    Or
    You could take 2mg the night before, so that you have a reasonable sleep then 2mg first thing.

For dental extraction fear. The recommendations is 5mg night before, 5 on wakening and 5
    One hour before extraction.
    This is just an example of dosage relevant to anxious situation.

However, in your case you have to consider the sedation aspect of Valium as you have to be alert in your presentation. I personally didn't find 2mg Valium sedating. And I would def advise you to do a test dose before your presentation.

Because your main symptoms of anxiety are adrenaline fulled, propanalol is the perfect med. have you tried increasing the dosage to 80 mg or more?

You can also try bachs rescue remedy and other 'flower' remedies./homeopathic meds.
    These didn't work for me, but others swear by them.

Be careful of 'herbal' meds though, as some lime valarian, can have sedating effects and should also not be used at the same time as Valium as they may increase sedation.

You will be fine with 2mg diazepam it won't make you drowsy maybe a higher dose would. Good Luck.

Thread Information