Thread: Writing in front of people

Writing in front of people

Recently, our GP surgery and adjacent chemist have gone over to electronic prescriptions in order to streamline the whole process. While I understand the reason, it has caused problems for me as I now have to wait until both mine and Mrs F's prescriptions are sorted before I have to fill in the backs of each form. Mrs F has a LOT of tablets and this of course means a long time for me filling them out as being her carer and in receipt of benefits, I have to complete the relevant sections. Knowing I have to do this after waiting up to 30 minutes cranks up the anxiety, whereas before with paper prescriptions I would do all that immediately on entering the pharmacy.

I raised this topic with the pharmacist who seemed ok with us going back to paper, but the Dr's receptionist was resistant and suggested I go into the little side room in the pharmacy. I really don't want this level of attention being generated. People behind me were no doubt hearing the whole conversation while discussing this. Mrs F has said she will collect the prescriptions but she isn't well enough to be able to keep to that promise. I know this sounds pretty trivial compared with a lot of other posts here but I can't see a way around this.

Re: Writing in front of people

Not trivial in the slightest, fishman, many of us have anxiety about shopping & queues so we understand you feel under the microscope wondering what those behind you ate thinking.

What I'm trying to understand is how this makes the process more streamlined? It seems like a bigger ballache than what they did before. Do you have to do one part and then queue up for 20 minutes to do the rest? I would have thought you just fill it in once on a screen? I'm not sure I'm understanding it properly.

Is there another option? At my surgery they are part of the national online service and I can book appointments and request repeat prescriptions. So, can you get them that way? And can't you then go online at pharmacies to have them delivered but I'm sure I saw something about being able to collect them too? This might be because my local is a Boots pharmacy though.

To be honest, everyone complains about waiting in those places. It's a British pastime really, complaining about queueing or waiting, so I bet they are all saying what you are. Some of the carers who go into mine are given carrier bags full of meds for each person so they would be spending ages faffing around of they couldn't fill prescriptions in on paper at home to drop in & collect later (which I thought the pharmacists preferred anyway as it saves them backing up the queue of those sitting waiting since they have one pharmacist doing the big orders separately ready for the later pick ups).

I don't think you list the meds, the GP does it, or should I say computer.
    You can do repeats by phone or email.
    The pharmacy will tick the relevant boxes and have the list of meds permanently on record
    If you have problems with your chemist, then change it to another one.
    If you are a carer, you have the right to ask for the meds to be dropped off at your house.
    However, boots will not do this. An independant will do far more for you.
    Mr C does gets this for his mum and himself, as a carer too.

That's just it Terry, the only people to benefit from what I can see are doctor's receptionists. They won't have to sort through the box on the counter when patients come in to ask for paper prescriptions, freeing them up to answer the phone etc. GPs will still have to review repeat scripts as they are ordered, pharmacists will still have to sort the scripts and patients still stand and wait

I didn't know I qualified for home delivery Carnation, thank you for that, I shall look into it. I clearly have problems when my routine is shaken up, maybe when I get used to this new system I'll be ok...

You are welcome fishman. Once it is set up, it will probably be better for you.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Good advice from Carnation re having your meds delivered. It really angers me that patients aren't given this, and other relevant, information when, far from being 'trivial', it is in fact causing unnecessary anxiety. Having your routine changed so abruptly will invariably cause increased stress in an anxiety sufferer. It may be something that over time you would adjust to, but the cold hard truth of the matter is, as always, cost, and minimising it

Never Surrender, Comrade

Sorry, I forgot to reply, fishman.

Aren't they just changing one queue for another? But I guess it's more aimed at the receptionists.

I thought you meant the pharmacists too, that's why I was confused.

I can do my repeats online through the NHS portal. It's the same as being able to book appointments online. I don't use it but it's something my surgery signed up to some years back. They just need to give you a letter with a PIN code in it for their surgery.

Would that be easier for you? Then you can just go in to pick them up as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to reply, fishman.

Aren't they just changing one queue for another? But I guess it's more aimed at the receptionists.

I thought you meant the pharmacists too, that's why I was confused.

I can do my repeats online through the NHS portal. It's the same as being able to book appointments online. I don't use it but it's something my surgery signed up to some years back. They just need to give you a letter with a PIN code in it for their surgery.

Would that be easier for you? Then you can just go in to pick them up as usual.
    No worries buddy. When I think about pharmacies and the protocol, they have always really been a challenge in terms of a 'ceremony' I have to go through in filling out the back of each form. Lots of forms means being stuck in that situation until they are done.

The ordering online is easy as I've used the portal a couple of times now. However there seems to be no way around having to do the signing regardless of how the script is ordered. I've managed so far but it's challenging. It goes to show how fragile my 'coping' is...

Thanks for your input Terry, you're a decent bloke.

Thread Information