Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow release 80mg Propranolol

Slow release 80mg Propranolol

I've been suffering from intense anxiety for weeks now and it's got so bad I hardly ever go out the door. I was prescribed Citalopram and I'm now on day 11 of a 20mg dose. I know that symptoms can get worse initially when starting Cit, and think that's what's happening with me at the moment.

I was at Doctors yesterday (I go to see her every two weeks) and I told her I wasn't yet feeling any benefits from the Cit (as expected as I have read it can take quite a while to work) and she prescribed me Propranolol 80mg slow release to help with the anxiety.

I just wanted to gauge how well the propranolol can help so if any of you have any positive experiences to share with me I would appreciate it.
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Re: Slow release 80mg Propranolol

Hiya. I'm taking this and its really helped to take the edge off the physical side to panic. I'm too scared to try anti depressants but I think both will help as one will help your thoughts and the other will help the symptoms

I'm on it, but stopped due to having bad side effects that I put down to the propanolol it made me feel dizzy and breathless, although the first day it made me feel great

to be honest i am just about to get some more 80mg but i only now take about 3 per week,

i was on 10mg every 12 hours fo about 6 weeks and they did nothing to me, i was sufferring from severe headaches and slight panic attacks,

when i went on to the 80mg slow release every 12 hours , i was feeling feeling back to normal within a few days, i would recommend them to anyone who has this,

as i said i only now take a few per week when i feel like i need them, severe bad head or ringing in the ears)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyreww View Post
    I'm on it, but stopped due to having bad side effects that I put down to the propanolol it made me feel dizzy and breathless, although the first day it made me feel great
    I was exactly the same as this when my GP put me on 80mg a couple of years ago but I insisted I go back to 40mg, problem being that I'm kind of neither here or there when on 40mg, I suppose they must be working because I'm at least not getting any worse...

Been taking propanolol 80mg slow release for over 2 weeks think they work brilliantly for general anxiety I am hoping to get the dose increased in a couple weeks when I see my GP. First medication that has given me total relief of the tense feelings of anxiety. The side effects seem to be wearing off now, feeling tired/breathless/fatigued and dizzy however I dont feel it is working quite as well as it did at first hense wanting to get the dose increased because I know you can take 40mg 3 times a day for generalized anxiety. I am also on 2 different anti depressants and anti psychotic for OCD been on them for about 10 years now! This is the first medication I have tried that you can actually truely relax your body

Hi I have been on this medication for my anxiety for many years. I really dont want to have anything heavier like anti depressants. I also take Rescue remedy as well. Also having therapists like Reflexology and a massage to help me at the moment. regards amandah

I usually take one 80mg a day and have done for nearly a year now, however I felt VERY panicky during the night and took a tablet, then still felt anxious at 8 am this morning, and took another, have felt totally wiped out all day! But feel that the 80mg are not working for me anymore. Having posted this, I really do not want to go on a higher dose, any advice would be very welcome .

It worked really well for me for 6-7 years. I recently changed to Atenolol as it's a longer acting beta-blocker as propranolol was losing efficacy for me; and have reduced my antidepressant dose and completely lost my dependence on diazepam for tough situations thanks to beta-blockers.

Hi All

I've just joined this forum so not really sure what I'm doing?!

I've had anxiety probably all my life (as a kid I used to freak out if I wasn't asleep by 9pm! - and couldn't sleep if I wasn't, and was really obsessed when I had exams etc) But it only got really bad the last couple of years.

Long story short I recently got put on Zoloft, but only took them for a week because I was already experiencing some pretty horrid side effects (the ones that don't go away after a couple of weeks) despite the fact they seemed to be helping me. To avoid weight gain & sexual problems, they prescribed me with Propranolol sustained release instead...this was 2 days ago & I've already rung the doctors once as I'm so anxious about putting on weight and apparently Propranolol can make you gain?! Yesterday I was still quite anxious..However, I woke up this morning and my anxiety is out of control. The doctors allowed me to stop the Zoloft in place of the propranolol as they thought that would take the edge off any small withdrawal i'd get after such a short time.

I'm so confused now as I thought Propranolol sustained release was supposed to work straight away, but I feel worse than ever now?! Will it take a few days to kick in?

HELP!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information