Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inositol Guide: PsychoPoet Research Initiative

Re: The Inositol Guide: PsychoPoet Research Initiative

L-Tryptophan. L-Phenylalanine. 5-HTP. Tried em all. None of them worked which has made me a little bit sceptical about the natural as opposed to prescription-only drugs. None of them is subject to the same kind of trials and tests as prescribed drugs generally are. People who shout loudest about them are the ones for whom they work. I suspect for most people they don't actually work but they just keep quiet about it so their voice does not get heard. After all, if they are so good why are people still taking SSRIs all the time instead?
    Having said that, I am now going to have to go online and order some some inositol just to try it myself!

I took Inositol 6 grams a day (powder) for several months. I was trying to help my pcos and had no idea it helps anxiety. Unfortunately it didn't seem to help my anxiety, although I am tempted to try it again in higher doses. It made me gain weight though! Maybe it was water weight, but I definitely got a tad porky (weight came off immediately when I stopped using it). Also it made me fart a lot.

* Added an "inositol and choline" section, since this is now the question I get asked most often. In short, you should NOT take choline if you suffer from depression. Pure inositol is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by robinbrum View Post
    L-Tryptophan. L-Phenylalanine. 5-HTP. Tried em all. None of them worked which has made me a little bit sceptical about the natural as opposed to prescription-only drugs. None of them is subject to the same kind of trials and tests as prescribed drugs generally are. People who shout loudest about them are the ones for whom they work. I suspect for most people they don't actually work but they just keep quiet about it so their voice does not get heard. After all, if they are so good why are people still taking SSRIs all the time instead?
    Having said that, I am now going to have to go online and order some some inositol just to try it myself!

1. If these treatments didn't work, you would hear a lot more about them than the ones that do work. Go into one of the medication forums here and compare the number of threads slagging that medicine off to the number of threads praising the medication. People don't generally come to NMP to champion a medication, they come for support when they are suffering from its side effects.

2. If nobody on the internet is slating inositol, to me that is surprising and a very good sign. How many products etc are not slated on the internet, at least by one person? It's not like there is a conspiracy by vitamin champions to keep people quiet.

3. As I stated in the Inositol Guide, nobody except health shops are making money out of inositol, and health shops do not keep your doctors in employment, nor do they buy into governments and have multi-billion pound research institutes. Also, SSRIs are specifically designed to treat anxiety and depression disorders, where inositol is not. On top of this, you are likely to be prescribed whatever medication is cheapest, so you'll get citalopram before escitalopram, for example; plus you'll get the medication your doctor is most familiar with, so again you'll get citalopram before mirtazapine. Politics and money play a significant part in our treatment.

I need to re-iterate that anyone who suffers from any type of anxiety or depression disorder should consider CBT with Mindfulness and/or interpersonal skills. You cannot rely on medications and vitamins. They might make you feel better, but they won't get rid of the underlying problems. That's what therapy is for.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I've been taking 4g of Inositol per day for three weeks now and it has had a little effect but I've still had some pretty severe panic attacks. I seem to have hit a wall with the amount that I'm willing to take despite having no side effects whatsoever. I think it's because it comes in 1000mg tablets and on the box it sad not to take more than 2g per day, which is worrying me a little.

I've ordered some pure inositol power a week ago but I still haven't received it. I was thinking of working my way up to 10g per day to see its effects.

How fast can I work myself up I that? Unfortunately the possible side effects of a high disease appear to w the same as the anxiety symptoms they are supposed to treat. :(

Hi, I don't know of anyone who has been hurt by taking lots of inositol. There doesn't appear to be any such thing as inositol overdose. Since it is loosely classed as a b-vitamin, your body would simply get rid of any excess in your urine.

Not everyone will benefit from inositol and bear in mind the medical trials used 12g and 18g per day. There are no reports indicating anyone from the trial suffered any long term complications for this. Don't forget the usual advice: make sure you are having the appropriate type of therapy, and work on self-affirmations to build your confidence and self esteem.

I'm up to 7g per day at the moment. Its given me, how shall I put this, digestive problems. Hoping to get up to 12g to see if it has any effect on my anxiety. I've just started a course of CBT too and today I was told that my panic attacks are probably caused by social anxiety.

I have been taking powder inositol for a week for IBS-C, anxiety (with cuticle picking), insomnia, and PCOS symptoms (including high cholesterol). Starting conservatively, I take 1/4 tsp (845mg) in water at bedtime as directed on bottle. The first night I had night sweats, then the next 4 nights I slept long and deep, experiencing grogginess upon awakening and subsequent daytime tiredness. The last 2 nights I've slept sound until sunrise, and then woken every hour until rising at 10am, feeling exhausted. My moods in the morning tend to be neutral, even with fitful sleep, whereas before inositol I would stress about sleep deprivation and not be able to return to sleep if I woke prematurely. I'm eating normally and plenty but haven't had the usual unsatiable appetite or snack cravings (passing up dessert, which is unheard of for me). I have been more constipated than not during this week, and more calm but fuzzy. I have seen no effect on my cuticle picking, which is worse at night. Has anyone had this fitful nighttime experience with inositol? I'd like to take a 2nd dose in mornings, or move all doses to daytime, but afraid it will make me tired at work- has anyone experienced more energy taking inositol in the daytime? Also would love to see some 'digestive' effects since it has been the opposite experience for me.

Has anyone noticed an increase in spots/acne when using Inositol.

I've tested this quite a bit and I've noticed I have constant spots when taking it (quite painful ones too) yet when I stop it, they disappear straight away.?!

I wondered if it could be a side effect? It doesn't seem to kurb my anxiety enough to make me not care about the spots!

Hi PsychoPoet,

Once Inositol starts to work, how long do you need to stay on it? Is there a point in time you can come off and still reap the benefits, or do you have to stay on it indefinately?

I tried Inositol a while back, went through 3 tubs of Cenitol by Metagenics. Each tubs contains 222g. I think I used about 4-8gms per day. Some times I took the dose all in one drink, or I would put it in a water bottle and sip on it through the day. I don't recall how long I was on it, as I think there may have been some down time, so I might not have been completely consistant with it. I was also in the middle of Xanax withdrawal, and start up of SSRI's that made me worse, so I might not ever felt the benefit from it because of all the horror I was going through with meds.

Really quick, I was hit with bad anxiety out of the blue a little over a year ago. I had a seizure like event, which I think may have been a panic attack, but it was a very strange feeling. I think it was an adrenaline rush possibly. Anyway, I felt shaky and ill for weeks and weeks after that while doctors were baffled as to what was wrong. I had a neuro test done that shows I was VERY low on Serotonin. (Not everyone prescribes to the validity of these tests). Anyway, I had one major panic attack while on a 5-htp product (I don't think it was the cause), and I couldn't sleep for 4 days straight. Any time I closed my eyes, I could feel a surge of adrenaline come from my gut to my head, and my eyes would be wide open like I just drank 100 cups of coffee.

So, my doc put me on Xanax. First week I was fine. Second week, insomnia hit bad, anxiety hit, and I had this strange sensation in the back top right side of my head, that gave me a very scary feeling of fear/pending doom. I had never felt anything like it before. Anyway, I had severe side effects from Xanax, I think I was always in withdrawal between doses, etc.... I got off it after 2.5 monhts, had severe anxiety again with panic, then I started on SSRI's.

I tried Paxil, but after two weeks had a bad reaction, tried Zoloft that gave me severe horrifying fear/hopelessnes/panic/pending doom, so I went off it after a week or so. Unfortuniately those awful feelings keep plaguing me. I never had them before trying meds. I then tried Lexapro, this flat lined all my emotions, I couldn't feel happy, excited about anything, no joy, so it gave me feelings of depression/hoplessness, etc...Awful feeling. I had to go off after 4 weeks. I then tried Remeron, I slept GREAT for 1 week, and my mood improved and one day I felt so good it was the best I felt in years. I don't think remeron could have helped that quickly, so it might have been the better sleep it gave me. But, then the anxiety, shaky/sweaty/ insomnia came back. Might have been Lex withdrawal.

Then, after two weeks, I tried some L-tryptophan, felt good for about 2 days, then bad anxiety then panic came back. Might have been still Lex withdrawal, and I had also tapered my Remeron a bit. I went back on Lex, for four weeks, wanting to give it another try. Bad move. Made me worse than the first time. Went off after 4 weeks, started on 5-htp, started feeling better, thought things were on the up, excited about life, then I tapered off Remeron which I was on for 2.5 months. It made me very ill, nausea, lack of appetite, insomnia, aches and pains, head aches, very low mood, depression, etc....

Things were a little better an my doc wanted me to try Rhodiola, first week okay, second week got stimulated like drinking too much coffee, 3dr week, got very low mood, constant feelings of panic/fear/hopelessness, no joy or excitement, felt exactly how I did on Lexapro. Went off it and haven't felt good since.

I really think Remeron messed me up. Actually I think all the SSRI's messed me up and I have not recovered since trying them. My docs don't know what to do.

I've been on 5-htp for 2 months, not sure it's helping. Also on PEA which I was tested low. I do have high B12, (had b12 shots a while back, so now it seems I have to much and it's not methylating). I'm very sensitive to anything stimulating. I am taking a small amount of B6 (co enzyme form). I was also tested high on DHEA and low on Adrenaline. That is why my doc put me on Rhodiola, but it made me worse.

So, now we are trying Inositol. My worry is that I had tried it before, although during a bad time of SRRI/Benzo trial and withdrawal. I would think it could still help, but didn't notice any benefit. So, not sure if it's going to help now or not.

The only thing during this time that has made me feel better, is Ativan (Benzo). Benzo's stimulate the gaba receptors in the brain I think? Anyway, I've tried L-theanine, GABA, Phenibut, etc... things that are supposed to support or increase GABA, but they don't have an effect like Ativan. I used Ativan during the time I had horrible mental effects from Zoloft (SSRI's) and it took away the fear/pending doom/hopelessnes, and anxiety, and I felt calm and better mood. How does Ativan do this, but nothing else touches my symptoms? What did the SSRI's do to me? I feel my brain is hypersensitive, over stimulated, and just wont calm down. It does on a very rare occasion then goes back to feeling over stimulated. I don't want to use Ativan any more, and was hoping I could find something to help like Ativan but not have the addiction and withdrawal of a benzo.

Sorry for the long post. But, this gives you a background on how I've been feeling and what I've tried and what hasn't worked.......

If anyone has any suggestions... I'd apprecaite it. I've been feeling ill for over 1 year, and feeling really mentally awful since starting SSRI's last December.

Thanks.

Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.

Kev84: Be careful increasing the dose if it's giving you grief, I also get, ahem, problems with the plumbing from 6g onwards and have to drop to lower doses.

Renie: I've never heard of anything like that with inositol. It can make you feel more sedate (tired and dreamy) and there may be side effects we don't know of. I have never read any negative reports about inositol and it does not have any known harmful effects. What other medication are you taking? It might be worth speaking to a pharmacist as the inositol may increase the effects of something else that you're taking. Night sweats and restless sleep are common side effects of anti-deps, for example.

Han_Xander25: Again, never heard of it increasing acne although that may be a side effect that's so rare nobody has reported it, or their reports were dismissed due to nobody else coming forward with the same complaint.

Soccer Dude: Inositol was reported in the only major trial to benefit many or most users within a week, sometimes within 2 days, although most people noticed significant benefits after about 30 days to a couple of months. As with any substance, benefits would taper off after you stop taking it, although I don't know how long the inositol half-life is. People with inositol deficiencies would benefit most but that is rare, except perhaps for people with anxiety disorders or depression.

Taking inositol inconsistently will have inconsistent results but inositol cannot dull the horror of your first major anxiety experience, particularly if medication has caused it. Inositol is best used as a supplement to therapy and any meds your doctor has prescribed and is helpful to give people's mood a boost and hopefully improve their quality of sleep.

Your post touches on a lot of important points. The onset of anxiety has got to be horrifying and seemingly unreal, otherwise we'd just shrug it off and go back to our lives. Anxiety sticks with us because it gets in through the cracks and shakes our sense of security. It reminds us we are mortal in a manner that cannot simply be ignored. The weirder and more alarming a symptom is, the more likely it is to be anxiety; a sense of impending doom is the classic sign and could be caused by unconscious thoughts that you are ill and may die. It's the fear of the unknown.

One good night's sleep provides such comfort and reassurance. We remember our old selves and start to believe we can be like that again. Tiredness can have a horrendous impact on anxiety. Those with health anxiety might simply be scared of how they feel when they're tired, but they misinterpret this by thinking that being tired makes them anxious and ill. Tiredness can make you feel like crap, but if you're hyper-alert to this, you create a negative cycle of fear and distress and bang, you've got a new core problem. The way out of this is to train yourself to recognise the symptoms of tiredness and when they start showing up, instead of going on a massive anxiety trip, calmly remind yourself that you know what's happening and it is normal.

The good days make the bad days seem worse than ever but this is only to be expected during recovery. You will have way more bad days than good in the beginning. The point is you CAN have good days. That's ALL that matters.

You speak about a lot of medical treatments you've tried. None of them will address the underlying causes of the illness. If you don't try to work out what's going wrong and create a plan to stop it and then fix the wounds it has caused, you won't recover. CBT is the current recommended treatment and a good therapist can do more for you in a few months than medication will ever do.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information