Thread: Propranolol and exercise?

Propranolol and exercise?

My doctor has just put me on 10mg Propranolol to help with panic attacks and anxiety but I forgot to ask if it will effect my exercise (running, cycling, weight lifting, etc).
    I'm just about to start a strict exercise regime and don't want to take the Propranolol if it's going to effect my performance.

I started by taking one 10mg tablet this morning and I've felt quite tired and slightly nauseous all day.

Re: Propranolol and exercise?

Hi
    If it helps, my doctor put me on 40mg three times a day......... I've been going out each evening doing an hours hard cycling and didn't notice any difference in energy levels so if you're on 10mg, you might be ok!

Geoff

I do weights 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week.

Currently on 40MG 3/4 times a day. although I feel anxious after & during the weights and cardio sessions it does however help towards me relaxing later on at night and sleeping.

I'm on a 10mg prescription for "as and when needed" and haven't noticed any problems with exercise at the times I have taken it. All it really does is slow the heart, but it's not known to be a particular issue with exercise I think. It's beneficial in some sports, though that's stuff like archery as it steadies the hand, hence why it's a banned drug in sports.

I have (only just recently) more of a problem not taking the stuff and exercising. Basically after exercise I get heavy tiredness, aches and general anxiety symptoms. This in turn can cause pounding heart. So propranalol helps a bit with that.

Hmmm glad to see nobody has had problems, I didn't take mine yet because I was worried about it. I think since most of my anxiety and panic is at night I may take the one I have been recomended then. The doctor said it is short acting so therefore it should have worn off when I go running?

I used to take 40mgs twice daily, and as I used to exercise alot I asked my doctor. She said light exercise and my salsa dancing shouldn't be affected but harder cardio workouts (like my boxercise and circuits) could be affected. Nothing dangerous just because the heart is regulated it cannot keep up with the extra demand (for oxygen) on high cardio impact exercise, so you fatigued alot quicker. And this I found to be true, apart from the salsa dancing once a week, I had to quit the boxecise and circuits. I ditched the propanolol recently, and energy levels are (albeit slowly) returning. This is not to say it will happen like this for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2301 View Post
    Hi
    If it helps, my doctor put me on 40mg three times a day......... I've been going out each evening doing an hours hard cycling and didn't notice any difference in energy levels so if you're on 10mg, you might be ok!

Geoff
    I cannot believe a word of this! Yes I know we're all different but BB's have the same action on everyone, slowing the heart and blocking adrenalin.

Quote Originally Posted by raychn2003 View Post
    I used to take 40mgs twice daily, and as I used to exercise alot I asked my doctor. She said light exercise and my salsa dancing shouldn't be affected but harder cardio workouts (like my boxercise and circuits) could be affected. Nothing dangerous just because the heart is regulated it cannot keep up with the extra demand (for oxygen) on high cardio impact exercise, so you fatigued alot quicker. And this I found to be true, apart from the salsa dancing once a week, I had to quit the boxecise and circuits. I ditched the propanolol recently, and energy levels are (albeit slowly) returning. This is not to say it will happen like this for everyone.
    In my expereience this is correct.

BB's slow your heart so obviously your physical output is reduced. Its for this reason that I desperately want to get off BB's which I've been taking for many years. For me personally just 10mg propranolol reduces my physical stamina (when playing badminton or cycling) by probably about 20%.

After hard exercise I feel super super anxious, I believe this is because exercise uses up all the propranolol in my body. But even if I take my propranolol after exercise (and not before) its makes no difference, I'm still much more anxious than I am normally. This means that if I play badminton for 2 hours in the morning, I cant really go out in the afternoon because I'm too anxious. I be really interested to hear from anyone else who has a similar experience.

I know this is an old thread, but a google search led me to it. I take 10mg of Propranolol 2 or 3 times a day. I take it for anxiety and it lowers my heart rate from a "normal" 115-120 bpm down to 85, so I love that part.. and it always lowers my BP slightly down to a more medium normal range. Without the propranolol I have a pretty good essential tremor (probably anxiety related) that prevents me from eating from a spoon, measuring ingredients in a spoon, wearing eyeliner or mascara... writing a check without slopping ink everywhere and in general worrying the people around me that I have low blood sugar and am ready to drop over!

I have noticed that being on the propranolol keeps my heart rate from going up high while I exercise. In most cases I enjoy it because I feel like I don't get worn out so quickly. In some cases, as in when i'm mountain biking, it feels like my heart NEEDS to go faster but won't... and this last time it resulted in my passing out on top of the mountain. I just had absolutely nothing left to give. I has hydrated, but had zero energy left. Like dropping from exhaustion. After I sat still for a few minutes I was able to get back down the mountain on my bike but have felt very anxious for about 3 days since that incident. I am still taking my propranolol but wonder if I didn't hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Huneebzz View Post
    After I sat still for a few minutes I was able to get back down the mountain on my bike but have felt very anxious for about 3 days since that incident. I am still taking my propranolol but wonder if I didn't hurt myself.
    You are unlikely to have done yourself any physical harm, but the incident seems to have spooked you and caused an anxiety increase. Propranolol doesn't stop such intrusive thinking in the way other anxiety meds do, it just blocks the adrenaline fuelled fight-or-flight symptoms of anxiety. I suggest you get yourself checked by your GP anyway, more for the peace of mind than concerns about physical injury.

Unfortunately, beta-blockers can impede physical exercise as this needs adrenaline so you need to work within the limits they impose.

Thread Information