Thread: Worried about C diff infection following antibiotics

Worried about C diff infection following antibiotics

I posted last week that I had been given amoxicillin for sinuses and was worried about developing c diff - I first of all got evil flatulance for couple of days then that went but I started to have to go to the loo much more than normal in a morning like up to 7 times in 3 hrs but then fine rest of day and no diarrhea as such in fact poo is better formed than normal. As I didn't have watery diarrhea or temp or feel sick I just assumed it was antibitoics BUT they finished Monday last tablet monday morming but the bowel trouble has stayed the same.

Every morning I have to go to loo every 15-30 mins and get quite bad cramping and the shivers just before I have to rush - but not watery runs at all- nicely soft formed if you know what I mean.

I normally go to loo 3-4 times in a morning but 5-7 times is a bit much

I have googled of course and reassured and frightened myself in equal measures - it doens't help that a neighbour of mine had c diff diagnosed last summer after months and months of diarrhea but he wasn't ill as such it just showed up in a stool test so had a mild case from taking lots of antibiotics for chest infections and tooth infections ( he is 76 yrs old!)

I read that the upset bowels that isn't c diff just caused by minor alteration in intestinal flora can last for up to 2 weeks after antibiotcs stopped so trying to reason with myself that if it gets really bad like watery diarrhea with temp and sickness or this continues as bad for over 2 weeks then need to take a sample to Dr#s but of course the HA past of me wantt o rush off a sample to Drs now but I know she would look at me as if I was mad.

What does anyone else think please??

Re: Worried about C diff infection following antibiotics

Hi there - have you tried using probiotics? Upset stomachs are very common after anti-biotics - some people get it worse than others. My son always gets bad tummy after having them, as does my husband, I now put them on probiotics during and afterwards - they work wonders.

Solgar do a good one called 40+ or something - they're a little pricey but really work.
    x

ps don't think you a C-Dif.... really don't - just a jittery stomach from the pills.
    x

bex, if you're reading this, you rock! I read your posts and they're always on the money :-) I was going to say the same thing about the probiotics but you said it all!

Me too. Bex even got the right type of solgar product to use. Im sure that there isnt anything to worry about.

Tracy x x

Thread Information