Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trapped wind in stomach area and panic attacks

Trapped wind in stomach area and panic attacks

Anyone else ever got this ? I am feeling very alone about it. If I have trapped 'air' in my stomach I get adrenaline rushes and then panic. As soon as I burp up all the wind (a lot), usually by drinking water, the adrenaline burning and panic subsides. It is really scaring me at the moment and wondered if there was anyone else like this ?!

Re: Trapped wind in stomach area and panic attacks

Believe me you are not alone, I have been suffering a great deal from trapped air and bloatedness and the associated discomfort. I have also had what I have been told are adrenaline rushes, but they are a relatively new sensation for me & yes I agree they are absolutely awful and can cause heightened anxiety & panic.
    I have cut right down on spicy foods and caffeine and the situation has abated slightly. Gastro-intestinal disturbances are very common in anxious people and the worry from the symptoms always antagonises the situation so it is a bit of a vicious circle. You might be wise to get yourself checked out by your GP in any case to put your mind at rest if you have not already done so. Take care.

Carys at the moment i am suffering from trapped wind and bloating and also increased panic it is driving me mad tried some windeze tabs but no help
    Yesterday i felt so bloated that i felt sick i do have IBS so put it down to that ,but it is a horrid feeling also my trousers wont do up today

Are you on any meds that might cause this as a side effect ??

Maggiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Its more than likely the antibiotics causing this Carys ..Its a good idea to drink yakhult yoghurt drinks when you have or are taking antibiotics .As they kill off the good bacteria in the gut ,necessary to keep everything working as it should .Drink for at least a week after the course has finished and dont eat white bread as this causes bloating and wind .Im sure it will settle down once the antibi s are out of your system .This takes about 4 days after the last pill .. Hope you feel better soon , Sue x

Thanks for your replies all. I have taken your advice and am eating stacks of probiotic yoghurt Sue (haven't been able to get out to buy yakhult yet), it has slightly settled the indigestion. Edwardthebear - I think the moment my mind subconsciously 'feels' (does that make sense LOL ?) the pressure in my stomach it sends me into panic mode with burning throughout my body from the adrenaline. So, annoying. As soon as I burp a good amount (sorry rather graphic I know) it abates for a while. I think it must be something subconscious going on as I am terrified of vomiting and have learnt to associate stomach pressure with anxiety ?! Thanks Maggie - sorry you are feeling so bad, I can certainly associate with you today quite strongly. lol

OH great, I now have 'normal thrush', oral thrush developing (I would guess judging by the burning soreness appearing in my mouth and throat) and indigestion that is so bad it feels like I'm gonna vomit. Thank goodness there is only one day left LOL ! Wonder if this all means that the antibiotics are having a powerful affect on me ?

Sue, how many probiotic yoghurts should I be stuffing down per day do yout think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Thanks for your replies all. I have taken your advice and am eating stacks of probiotic yoghurt Sue (haven't been able to get out to buy yakhult yet), it has slightly settled the indigestion. Edwardthebear - I think the moment my mind subconsciously 'feels' (does that make sense LOL ?) the pressure in my stomach it sends me into panic mode with burning throughout my body from the adrenaline. So, annoying. As soon as I burp a good amount (sorry rather graphic I know) it abates for a while. I think it must be something subconscious going on as I am terrified of vomiting and have learnt to associate stomach pressure with anxiety ?! Thanks Maggie - sorry you are feeling so bad, I can certainly associate with you today quite strongly. lol
    I think that makes perfect sense, I find that the stomach pressure never really fails to make me worried or anxious. It is always accompanied in my case by feeling tired & listless and frequent ectopic heartbeats which only add to the stress and anxiety.
    I am sorry I didn't realise that you were on a course of anti-biotics, that probably explains a lot. I hope you do gain some success with the probiotic yoghurts although I don't think eating them in vast quantities will be any more beneficial. A few days ago I invested in some Prebio 7 tablets from Holland & Barrett (approximately £10 for 40 tabs) I must admit that my bloating has already shown a marked improvement. I hope it is sustained and not (yet) another false dawn !

Anxiety and poor digestion often occur together. I find taking digestive enzymes really helpful,eppecially ones with HCL

You're definitely not alone on this one. Having wind that literally feels trapped in your chest/abdomen is very uncomfortable indeed. For me it's worst when lying down- for some reason the bloating and general gut symptoms can spark off ectopic beats, and anxiety, like crazy. Not desirable when I'm trying to sleep!

I've read that it can be caused by swallowing air, but obviously keeping check on your food and drink helps a great deal. Personally I stopped drinking herbal tea and general hot drinks several days ago (had been drinking it more often than usual), and so far have had far fewer stomach upsets/ectopic beats. I'm considering peppermint oil supplements too, as those seem to work very well for some. It's a very individual thing though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information