Thread: Medication suggestions/options?

Medication suggestions/options?

I'm not doing great as some of you know. Have been unwell since October and run a bit of an obstacle course of medications.The list is terrible when you look at it!

Originally on escitalopram, had bad reaction to increasing the dose so tapered off.

Tried quetiapine briefly, olanzapine, disasterous attempts as sertraline and citalopram over Xmas.

Currently on 30 mg Mirtazapine for the past 4 months. Half way through a taper off diazepam. Still on Zopiclone for sleep which isn't working any more but too scared to stop it and have more withdrawals.

I was doing a lot better, still nowhere near my old self, but better.

This past week and a half crawling out of my skin with anxiety 24/7 after a major panic attack in the night. Feeling now as bad as when starting up on the SSRIs. Almost no sleep, trouble with leaving the house, scared being on my own, really struggling to drive.

I've made an appointment to see psychiatrist on Wednesday and at a bit of a loss. Previously when I wasn't really getting anywhere with the Mirt she wanted to add Venlafaxine and I resisted and things kind of improved on their own. But now, I can't go on like this. I'm worried about becoming a shut in as not far off it currently.

It's only been a week and a half and by all accounts it's common to have blips and relapses on the way to recovery but this one isn't shifting.

So what am I asking? I guess some input on starting venlafaxine and what to expect. Should I add an SSRI again which have worked in the past? Or do I wait this out? I can't seem to talk myself out of it and so of course it's spiralling. My mood is now very low but I don't believe depression is the issue. I am worried about anything which will stimulate me further.

Re: Medication suggestions/options?

I have been prescribed busropine/buspar.
    Of course I haven't taken them yet.....I have an aversion to taking meds.
    But
    I have read up about them.
    They seem to be very successful for some people and for me in particular because there are more ported withdrawal or start up issues!

However some people say they have zero response to taking them.
    I have read though that it is suggested that you are completely Benzo nfre before starting them

Failing that, there's always herbal or homeopathic meds. Jury's out

Quote Originally Posted by dally View Post
    I have been prescribed busropine/buspar.
    Of course I haven't taken them yet.....I have an aversion to taking meds.
    But
    I have read up about them.
    They seem to be very successful for some people and for me in particular because there are more ported withdrawal or start up issues!

However some people say they have zero response to taking them.
    I have read though that it is suggested that you are completely Benzo nfre before starting them

Failing that, there's always herbal or homeopathic meds. Jury's out
    Yes I looked up buspar and wondered why I'd never been given it in the first place as it sounds really effective. Then I read on to see that it can't be used alongside benzos so I'd have to wait until I'm tapered off and am scared to go any further with that to be honest until I am more stable.

It also said people who have taken benzos in the past are less likely to feel any benefits from it?

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowGirl View Post
    Hello...I would suggest you try Lyrica. It's a well known drug for pain but is prescribed for off label use for anxiety and mood disturbances, have you tried this one yet? I am sorry for the heart ache you are going through trying to find suitable medications. Wish you the best of luck.
    Hiya thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is not funded for anxiety in New Zealand si I can't try it. I asked about it last time :(

Hi
    I may have asked you this before.
    Have you ever tried Trazodone?
    Used mostly for sleep but can be useful for anxiety.
    It is an old antidepressant.
    Please take just one day at a time.
    Think of you often.
    Mugs

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi
    I may have asked you this before.
    Have you ever tried Trazodone?
    Used mostly for sleep but can be useful for anxiety.
    It is an old antidepressant.
    Please take just one day at a time.
    Think of you often.
    Mugs
    Thanks Mugs, I've had a look and Trazodone isn't available here either. Is it helping you at all?

I feel if I could just sleep the anxiety would calm down but sleep is back to about 4 hours a night if I'm lucky and the cycle continues.

Pretty sure all the psych will do tomorrow is add venlafaxine or and SSRI which I don't want as I can't handle being any more stimulated!

Feel like I just want to be knocked out for about a week to get some rest.

Hi
    Trazodone has helped me.
    I can't take anything stimulating either!
    Could it be under another name?
    Desyrel(maybe discontinued), Oleptro
    Odd it's not available there.
    Hope you feel better soon Shaz
    Mugs

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs View Post
    Hi
    Trazodone has helped me.
    I can't take anything stimulating either!
    Could it be under another name?
    Desyrel(maybe discontinued), Oleptro
    Odd it's not available there.
    Hope you feel better soon Shaz
    Mugs
    Thanks Mugs, it's not funded here as far as my search online goes. Neither is pregbalin. It's like living in a third world country!

Today has been a bit better after a rough start so maybe I'm on the mend but won't get my hopes up just yet!

Seeing psychiatrist tomorrow but am pretty sure she'll just want me to take venlafaxine.

Thread Information