Thread: Sertraline Taper/Wean Experience

Sertraline Taper/Wean Experience

About to start to wean off Sertraline (have been on 100mg for about 10 years). Psych suggested straight drop to 50mg...But I have pretty high anxiety already, so not wanting to go too fast. Was thinking of trying 25mg cut first (down to 75mg) and see how I feel after a week. He wants to try me on others meds but is restricted because of the sertraline. He said I can take 2mg of valium a day to help through the worst of it and I am just increasting Mirt to 15mg at night. He is trying to treat high generalised anxiety levels. Any comments on experiences with tapering off the sert and also what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Have real anxiety about changing meds and think it's my body and I know how I feel 100% of the time, so am trying to be gentle with myself, because if I get overwhelmed it just pushes my anxiety up through the roof. Which is the whole reason I am going down the taper road. Anyhoot...thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Tracy x

Re: Sertraline Taper/Wean Experience

I'd been on 50mg for about 18 mths when I decided to halve it.
    Lasted a week and went back to 50.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Hi Phil. Can I ask how long you were at the reduced dose and how you were feeling? I guessing it wasn't pleasant if you went back up? Thanks. VYracy

hi tracy,
    I'm in a similar boat to you in that I'm trying to wean myself off sertraline (in order to try for a baby for me) I have been on it for about 15 years I think I started with 150 then been on 100 for the last 10 years I think. I can't really remember coming down to 100mg to be honest but lets just say it's been a long time.

I went to see my GP and she suggested a weaning time of about 12-18 months. I'd start by taking a 50mg twice a week for 6 weeks then take 50mg 3 times a week etc etc until I'm off. So as you can see our plans are very different, it does seem quick the reduction for yours however this may be because you are going on to different medications rather than being med free
    I've read a lot about other people's experiences with withdrawel and I'm not sure this is a good thing because we're all different. Hopefully it'll be a breeze for us!
    I hope it goes well for you and you find better relief with new drugs
    X

Hi Vicky! Thanks for your reply. Yes, I wish I could do it slower, but already I have been about 6 weeks in the same spot with my anxiety and it is quite high. I have read all the horror stories so at least I know what to expect, but I have also read some positive stories of people on sertraline for similar lengths of time that have tapered quite quickly and done okay. I'm sure it won't be pleasant but the doc has assured me that none of the withdrawal symptoms are dangerous, they are just uncomfortable. I think I only need to get down to 50mg before I can cross taper so fingers crossed it goes okay. Good luck with the taper. I would love to know how you get on. Keep me updated please. Tracy

Thread Information