Thread: This Is Horrible!

This Is Horrible!

I went to bed at 11, watched tv until 11:30, woke up at 12:45 with panic, woke back up at 3:30 with terror running through me and have been up since then. I have some serious neurological issues going on and I won't be tested until God only knows when due to the waiting lists. This time I think I'm right ... I'm dying of something and I'm nearly out of my mind with fear. I feel like rushing to the ER but I know they wouldn't do anything for me. I'd just be sent home to shake with anxiety again. I feel near hysteria!

Re: This Is Horrible!

Hi i'm so sorry you are having/have had such a bad night... sounds horrible for you.

I'm sure that if the hospital felt you had any neurological issues that were dangerous to leave they would have seen you as a matter of urgency so try to stop worrying if you can.

Have you actually been diagnosed with neurological problems?

Yes, I'm having problems. My Orthopedist plans on doing an MRI after I see him in January. I googled the symptoms I'm having and they match up exactly to Pancoast Syndrome which is caused by lung cancer. I was a heavy smoker for a long time (quit now) so I'm absolutely freaking out. I really think I'm dying this time. I'm terrified.

That's the problem for all of us with health anx...it's hard to know if symptoms are being made worse by the anx and googling and find all sorts of diseases that fit every symptom we have.

What are your symptoms?

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
    And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
    And how else can it be?
    Kahlil Gibran

Since June I've been experiencing discomfort in the upper right lung. At the same time I started having excruciating pain in my right arm that follows the ulnar nerve path. I went to physio because my doctor thought it was just a strained bicep. The physiotherapist worked with me for about a month but said she didn't think it was the bicep or anything like tendonitis. She thought there was a nerve thing going on and sent a letter to my doctor suggesting that I be sent to an Orthopedist. I got in to see him in October and after checking me over for 5 minutes he said all my rotator cuff tendons were inflamed. I had no injury to cause this and I told him about the nerve pain. He said to take anti-inflammatories for 3 months and then go back to see him. If I wasn't better he'd order an MRI. So far I've been getting worse. I've been having a plethora of neurological symptoms and my right arm has been driving me nuts. I get pins and needles and feelings of pain across the upper part of the right side of my chest and down that arm. A Pancoast Tumor can invade the brachial plexus nerves that are exactly in that area and I'm getting the classic ulnar pain. I had a chest x-ray that came out clear but when I googled it said that it often won't show up in an x-ray. I've started experiencing neurological symptoms in other areas of my body and I'm feeling very weak and sick most of the time. I had complete blood work done and it came out fine except for my diabetes ... the sugars were elevated. I just sent in stool specimens because I'm experiencing bad diarrhea out of the blue, at times when I have no anxiety whatsoever. I'm still waiting on those results. At this point in time I have myself diagnosed with cancer that is spreading all through me and/or MS or some other hellish neurological disorder. My nerves are completely shot. I don't see my family doctor again until before Christmas and I don't see the Orthopedist until January. If I have to wait for an MRI it could take months. The waiting list is long for any kind of test here. Meanwhile my family doctor thinks it's all anxiety and my nerve pain is coming from my neck. She claims this even though I have absolutely no neck pain and she hasn't done any tests, plus I'm getting nerve pain and weakness in other areas of my body. Sorry for the long response, I just have myself near hysteria over this. My body just doesn't feel right and I've been progressively worse since June ... oh, plus I'm losing hair by the ton, including eyebrows and nose hair. Cancer can affect the endocrine system. Anyway, that's my story.

Oh dear, poor you x

I will say though, but not to make light of your problems, as an anxiety sufferer for ten years i get horrible horrible nerve pains, particularly in my arms... They often feel like i have a line of pain going from my jaw, down my shoulder and straight down the full length of my arm.

I just think that if the doctor thought there was any chance at all that these symptoms could be caused by cancer they would rush you in for tests.

The weakness in various areas of your body could also be what is a very typical anxiety symptom.

I know we cannot always blame everything on anxiety so I wouldn't suggest for one minute that you shouldn't get these tests but just keep in your mind there is a very good chance that anxiety is behind much of these feelings.

Please let us know how you get on and try your best not to worry.

Mand x

Just to try to reassure you, having read through your last post again i think it is very very possible that all of those symptoms.. however horrible they are (honestly i do understand how you are suffering) are caused by anxiety (however hard that is to believe)

Keep positive and hopefully the scan when you get it will put your mind at rest

Mand x

Thanks Mandy, I'm praying that my doctor knows what she's doing. She screwed up big time a couple of years back. I had back pain for 6 years and she kept saying it wasn't a disc and told me to rub lotions on it. Eventually I woke up one day with pain that bad down my legs that I couldn't stand and developed foot drop on one side. To make a long story short my disc had totally prolapsed into my spinal canal and crushed my Cauda Equina nerves. I had to have emergency surgery. It took me 2 years to get walking normal again. I could have been left in a wheelchair. I was lucky. Doctors terrify me.

I can totally understand why you are untrusting of the doctor then. They are humans I guess and do make mistakes. No wonder you have anxiety about medical issues, poor you for all that suffering with your back.

I think this time she will be right though... please let me know how you are getting on.

Hugs
    Mand x

Thread Information