Thread: body temp

body temp

i should really be working now but i am unable to get my mind off this..
    for the last few weeks or so i've been obsessing over a lymph node in the left part of my neck, not very swollen but slightly larger/harder than the twin node on the right on palpitation, and i first noticed it maybe 2 months ago (maybe always there). thought maybe from a pimple on my scalp that hasn't gone away, but not sure blah blah.. then last night i read that the lymph nodes on the left side are normally a bit larger than the right which at least helped me get to bed.
    part 2-- a few months ago i took my temperature just out of curiosity and it was a bit higher than normal, don't remember exactly how much maybe 37.3 c / 99.1 and i freaked a bit then calmed down, then when i was freaking about hiv maybe a month ago i took it again and it was still high, maybe as much as 37.5 c / 99.5 f, tested negative and so forgot about it. last night i took it and it was 37.2 (98.9)...
    aside from what anxiety tends to do i think i feel normal physically, when i take my temperature late at night or early in the morning it is usually normal (once or twice even a bit below 37/98.6) and i know the body temp fluctuates throughout the day (up after eating/exercise), i think i have a high metabolism which usually implies a higher body temp, when i take my temperature i tend to get nervous (pulse rate may go up) which maybe can raise the body temp (although i never heard before that being nervous/anxious does that). should i throw away the thermometer? should i get tested for hodgkinson's?
    do people sometimes get high body temperatures from being anxious?
    you don't have to respond, this is probably not healthy...

Jem27 Guest
    I can relate to this, my glands are often raised, at the moment I have 2 raised and yes it worries me. If I panic my temp always goes up, once even up to 38 degrees!!!! once im calm its back to normal which for me is 36.7.

I would get the glands checked out, sure they are nothing and yes stop temp taking. The temps are not high at all, up to 37.5 is pretty normal.

Easy for me to say, I use to temp take all the time.

See what your dr thinks but I bet all will be ok, its better to get him to check you out than you keep worrying yourself sick. I have been there, I was obsessed I had lymphona or leaukemia in the end I went to the dr and he made me realise I was fine.

Hiya

I can relete very well to this as well !

I had very swollen glands in virtually every place you can get them and even places I didn't know you could. I did the usual Google search and came up with the exact diagnosos that i had Luekemia/Lymphona.

I made myeslf so ill with panic and anxiety that I began to think that there was nothing left in this world for me. I went to the Dr's after 4 weeks of panic cos they didn't seem to go down much. He instantly said that he didn't see them as a problem and that my anxiety and stress was the propable cause of them being up. He even said that 50% of them were more likely to be cysts than nodes ! My blood pressure was way up but put this down again to my state of mind and excess drinking (trying to stress bust)

After a further 2 weeks of still more panic and anxiety I walked into A&E and met a brilliant Triage Nurse who knew I was in a state. He asked me what I thought was wrong with me and explained about the nodes and that I was sure I had Leukemia. He assured me that just by looking at me I hadn't. He said that if I had he would resign his position there and then in front of me !! Anyway to cut a long story short, they took 4 bloods from me and did checks there and then. I didn't have Luekemia and he kept his job. I didn't even have diabetes which was somethimg he thought may be the case. Infact all the tests came back clear, thank the Lord.

The Dr examined me and said that yes some of my nodes were up and the rest were cysts. My temp was up, my BP was high all down to panic, stress and anxiety.

I wouldn't suspect for one second you have anything nasty going on, you're in a same postion as I was a few weeks back. Leukemia patients don't even have the strength to check their own temp so bin the thermometer and stop taking your temp, there is no need. A visit to your GP will, I promise, re-assure you good and proper.

Take care

Dex

thank you for the posts. they made me feel much better at first, but then i found a "lump" above the lymph node, that isn't there on the right side, don't know if it was there before, perhaps just a muscle knot or something (because it has a totally different consistency than the lymph node, softer but larger, it seems long and undefined) but now i look at myself in the mirror and i feel my neck (non-stop) and i wonder if the left side of my neck isn't slightly larger than the right... it feels larger than it looks.
    of course i've read about all the possible symptoms of hodgkin's disease, which doesn't help, and can convince myself i have or have had at some point almost every one of those...
    made a GP appointment for tomorrow. as always i can't imagine how this will be resolved then; either he will tell me i don't need tests and i will consider myself undiagnosed, or he will send me to do tests which will send me into an even greater panic than before. no sleep last night, don't think i have the energy for tests.
    sorry for such a negative follow-up.. your posts did help, though.

lewis

Hi Lewis, I'm glad you brought this up. I've just posted my own topic on high blood pressure because every time I have it taken it's quite high. I've been to A&E about 10 times (especially when I first started having panic attacks, but thought they were heart attacks). My temperature and blood pressure were taken as soon as I got to hospital and they were both sky high. The doctor gave me paracetamol whilst I was there, but it was still high when I left a few hours later. It's now got to the point where they don't even raise an eyebrow when they take my temperature and blood pressure at hospital. My temperature was 38.2 on the last visit (I was even asked once if I'd been to any third world countries where I might have picked something up - the furthest I'd been was Blackpool!!).

Throw the thermometer away Lewis!!

Les, xx

Likewise, every time I have BP checked and temp when i'm anxious or stressed they're always everytime higher than they should be. My GP doesn't even bother taking it now cos he knows it will be high as soon as I walk in the surgery. I was even asked if my wife had anything funny going on "downstairs" shall we say because of the things I had described about certain lumps and pains !!

I know it's of little comfort Lewis but honsetly you're not alone with what you see and how you feel. I was exactly the same. I have lumps and bumps all over me that I feel shouldn't be there. I've had most of them for 20+ years now !

Jem27 Guest
    How did you get on today Lewis?

thank you everyone again who posted, it helped a great deal. i saw the doc today, with my list of symptoms (it was a complete list, i made sure), he said after examining me and discussing my symptoms that i have absolutely no symptom for hodgkin's disease. today, before my appointment, i found a chest x-ray of mine from a routine medical checkup i needed for visa reasons (i am living in france as you can tell from the flag), and freaked when i noticed some white spots in the same area where i've been having some pain in the past months. the doctor said the spots on the x-ray were normal. felt my neck and found nothing suspicious there, said my lymph nodes were perfectly normal..
    i am going to look for psychological help probably tomorrow. basically relieved now, but know that i have a serious problem.
    dex, you came through with your promise!
    thanks again,

lewis

Hi Lewis
    Glad your Doc has put your mind at ease with regards some of your anxiety. I spose it's easier said than done but we need to have faith in what they say and move on from it the best we can. At least tonight I'm sure you must feel rather less anxious about it all than you did the other evening.

I'm so pleased for you mate. PM me if you ever wanna a chat.
    Take it easy.

Dex

Thread Information