Thread: Curious if others have tried these?

Curious if others have tried these?

The first one may localized to the U.S. as I have no idea if they offer it internationally. Tonight I've decided to start going to a program near my home called Emotions Anonymous to at least check it out. It's supposedly a 12 step program designed like Alcoholics Anonymous but for mental and emotional health issues. Kinda curious to see if anybody here has heard of it or attended it. Second thing is, I'm curious to know if any of you have read any of the Buddhist books on the teachings of the Buddha to help with anxiety, depression etc. And to see if it helped at all. My recent bout of anxiety and depression has been over mainly existential type stuff, time going too fast, getting old, losing loved ones and dying, all of which terrifies me.

http://musingsofananxiousmind.weebly.com

Dx: General anxiety, Depression, OCD/Hypochondria Rx: Zoloft and Effexor daily. Klonopin and trazadone as needed. Also take magnesium and vitamin D3 daily.

Re: Curious if others have tried these?

Read quite a lot of stuff on Buddhism, Zen, Meditation etc.

The Buddhism stuff never really helped with my anxiety, but I found it comforting and enjoyable nonetheless.

The best thing that has helped me with anxiety and depression is reading about Stoicism and Philosophy in general.

Based on your existential concerns, I can highly recommend a book like "The Obstacle is the Way" as an introduction to Stoicism.

They had a 12 steps to wellbeing at the local charity I went to. That was AA derived so your EA sounds interesting.

My only criticism was that you could be at multiple steps dependant on your issues and it didn't feel like their was guidance on how you deal with that in understanding where you are.

Hi MOchp Been to 2 different 12 step programmes and now on a third I know they work too But EA is one I haven't heard of (just wish there was a 12 step programme for smoking, sadly there isn't. ) So is this your first ever 12 step programme you are going to? The level of support from these 12 step programmes is out of this world Go with a open mind and you find it will help! Do let us know how you get on. Cheers

Thread Information