Thread: Citalopram please help

Citalopram please help

Hiya,

Doc has prescribed me 20mg of citalopram which I have been taking for 4 days now fifth one due this afternoon. I am finding it really hard though because the side effects are really getting me down. I am waking up in the night and unable to get back to sleep and my panic is worse in the mornings. I feel like I cant even get up. I have horrible thoughts about the people close to me and worry that they will come true. Please can anyone tell me when the side effects will start wearing off.

Re: Citalopram please help

Hi there sorry you are feeling so crappy but remember you are not alone! I have been taking citalopram for just over two weeks now and I too am feeling pretty bad, I've just gone from 10mg to 20mg and still have side effects the main one being lack of sleep......But! after reading the advice and information everyone has posted on this site I am persevering as it sounds like it is temporary and I will reap the benefits, my need to get better is stronger than my fear of these side effects! Please dont give up and give it a chance, again you are not on your own and we will do this together. Keep me posted and I will relay my progress too. Good luck!
    Kate.

I was on citlopram for a few weeks but it they took me off after 6 weeks because it did not suit me and made me agitated. From what i remember when i got into the second week the side effects i had while my body adjusted had gone, i know that alot of people have been helped by this drug.
    Hope it helps you
    Take care
    Spotty socks X

Hiya,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. The only advice I can give you is to try and stick with it. I am not gonna dress it up, the first couple of weeks on this stuff can be really rough for some people. I had a really bad time. I questioned my doctor after 3 days and she told me "you are gonna feel bl**dy awful for a couple of weeks but keep taking them!

I had the heightened anxiety, no appetite, sickness, sleep trouble and the bad mornings so I know where you are coming from and it is not pleasant BUT it does get better. I know some people don't get on with the drug but the majority of people seem to be OK with it once it settles down.

You started on 20mg, a lot of people start on 10mg and then work up. I was supposed to do 2 weeks on 10 and then 20 after that but after 4 days I wanted it over with as quickly as possible and went straight to 20. It seemed to work after 2 weeks I really settled down. I am now 6/7 weeks in and have had 2 small blips in the last 4 weeks. The sleeping took 3 weeks to settle down and the mornings about 2-2.5 weeks.

Keep with them as I am sure they will help and it does take a couple of weeks for any benefit and then up to 8 weeks for them to fully work. It is a gradual thing as well, don't expect to wake up one morning a feel great, expect to feel a little better every day.

Keep smiling

Thread Information