Thread: NEW BABY looking for PROZAC Dad

NEW BABY looking for PROZAC Dad

Hi everybody...I am new here. and here is my story:

My ex started taking prozac like 4 months ago and right after he started taking it he has changed completely. Not only with me but with everyone and the way he feels about life.
    He just detached completely from me. I was still pregnant when he started taking it and left me pregnant many times. He came back and left. He stopped being the attentive and sweet loving man I met. He started finding excuses to keep himself busy and stay away from me. Now he said he fell out of love and is not in love with me anymore.

We were having problems before though that is why he started taking it. We would fight a lot and my hormones did not help at all. But even then no matter how much we argued he still looked at me and his eyes would shine. He was still in love with me. He would leave but be on the phone or skype with me all day missing me like crazy.

So I don't know if he just stopped having 'that' feeling for me because he got tire of the arguments or because of the SSR'Is. WHen he started taking prozac he would leave me, this time making any excuses to argue and leave and he stopped calling me. Only after a weeks or so he would have contact and we would get together again.

The thing is that in all these 4 months he hasn't taken it regularly. He takes it for two weeks, then stops for one then starts, forgets a few days. So he has been real inconsistent with that. So that is why he says that the prozac is not having the effects that people write about in these forums or others that I sent to him to read. He says it has ha only a little effect on his moods, like he doesn't feel so much but apart from that he is fine.

So one of my questions is: If he hasn't taken them regularly will they have a huge of an effect in his personality or not? and what happened to his soul, his love for me? He used to adore me. We met last year at Amsterdam airport,we ended up being in the same plane to london, seats RIGHT next to eachother! We spent a few days in London. Then I left to my country where he went to be with me a few weeks later, dropped everything to bewith me. We moved together to another country with my two kids. I got pregnant right away. Then the fights started, but he adored me. Up until we came to this country and he started prozac and all his love for me is gone.

We had the baby two months ago and he has come back a few times to find an excuse, like that he feels trapped and he needs his freedom and so on. That he can't do the typical family life, he has to live life and so he leaves. I am now left with his baby and my two kids, who by the way adore the guy!
    I am so lonely and confused.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    If he stops taking prozac can he ever feel the same way he felt for me before? Can those feelings ever come back? Is his love still there or is it gone forever.
    I appreciate your opinion due to your own experience. Thanks so much.

Re: NEW BABY looking for PROZAC Dad

It's probably not what you want to hear, but why would you want to be with a guy who "can't do the typical family life".

Only he can make the decisions he has made, i'm not saying prozac doesn't have it's downsides and doesn't effect everyone differently, but the fact he now has a kid of his own, should be the boot up the arse he needs.

Anyway.... if he is "different" on prozac then perhaps they aren't the med for him... I have felt a lot of things during the years taking Fluoxetine, but that I need "freedom" isn't one of them... certainly not freedom from my family..

Andy

Thanks Andy,
    S when taking fluoxetine you didn't feel numb or not emotionally connected? no empathy towards others?
    That is strange because there is a site where people on SSRI's have lost their spouse, emotionally.
    <but I guess it doesn't happen to everybody,
    here is the link..
    http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effe...I2UR28DFD3N759

Hi Gigi, sorry you find yourself in such a sad situation. I think it's hard to know what's behind your boyfriend's behaviour. I've heard of some people having weird reactions to Prozac but it certainly hasn't numbed my feelings in any way. If he only takes it sometimes, I don't really think it's going to help him properly. Perhaps he needs to try taking it either all the time or not at all. I hope things work out for you and remember your kids are the most important people in your life xxx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Quote Originally Posted by gigi12 View Post
    Thanks Andy,
    S when taking fluoxetine you didn't feel numb or not emotionally connected? no empathy towards others?
    That is strange because there is a site where people on SSRI's have lost their spouse, emotionally.
    <but I guess it doesn't happen to everybody,
    here is the link..
    http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/effe...I2UR28DFD3N759
    I think it's easy to blame a lot of things on the drug. When I first started the drug yes i absolutely felt disconnected, but it was more that I felt I was a burden on people so I think the disconnection was more me doing it rather than the SSRI.

Once the meds hit a therapeutic level it got better.

It's a very personal journey, I need to stress that because everyone will react differently to their meds and as I said before maybe Prozac isn't the medication for him.

Be strong

Thread Information