Thread: Obessessed with being near medical help

Obessessed with being near medical help

Hi, I've had panic disorder for 16 years, but over the past 5 years it has morphed into a delightful mix of health anxiety and an obsession with being near medical help.
    Sometimes I sit outside a hospital or ambulance station for hours just to feel safe.
    I find if I have to drive somewhere I am constantly counting the kilometers between ambulance stations, medical clinics, hospitals, and even nursing homes (at a stretch). I am having lots of trouble driving any significant distance where I feel medical assistance would not readily be available. I can no longer do my job properly because I can't do site visits to see my staff. I can't even begin to count the times that I've faked a migraine because I've been too scared to drive.
    Does anyone else experience similar and, if so, have you had any treatment that has helped?

Thanks!
    Last edited by chellebelle; 06-02-16 at 07:24. Reason: Grammatical error

Re: Obessessed with being near medical help

Funny you say that....I am terrified to fly so if we go on vacation we have to drive. My brother got married in Florida in August. I live in Kansas. I was very nervous about the drive because I was unfamiliar with the route and had no idea how far between hospitals I would be. Long stretches of the drive were just empty of any civilization. That being said....we did it....and I made it. Had a couple mild attacks on the way home but was also coming down with a cold so part of it was due to that I think. Was very proud of myself. Unfortunately now my HA is back in full swing so I am back to square one dealing with it. I did start a therapist last week. Going to give CBT a try.

Re: Obessessed with being near medical help

Yes, I can completely relate to this! I've been in and out of a&e and my doctors almost on a daily basis! Like you, I will only go to places I know where the hospital is and I've considered parking outside a hospital just to feel safe. Before all this I was always one to avoid doctors and hospitals, but now I feel like I want to live at them! I feel like I have 111 on speed dial! Was even contemplating going tonight but so far I've managed to stay away

Thread Information