Thread: 24 hour holter monitor

24 hour holter monitor

Has anyone else done this test? I have had episodes of tachycardia in the past which I have been in the ER with pulses up to 160, and the EKG's have all shown sinus tachycardia (fast pulse r/t panic). My nurse practitioner decided today to put me on a 24 hour halter monitor even though she is fairly convinced that my tachycardia is from panic. I'm supposed to do everything like I usually do, mow the lawn and take walks. Sometimes my heart pounds when I bend over so she wants me to do that a lot.
    Has anyone notice that you get even more anxious and focused on your heart wearing one of these? I am quite nervous about it.

Re: 24 hour holter monitor

Hi

There are a few posts about this recently so put "24 hour monitor" into the search facility and search by titles only and you will find them

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jothenurse View Post
    Has anyone else done this test? I have had episodes of tachycardia in the past which I have been in the ER with pulses up to 160, and the EKG's have all shown sinus tachycardia (fast pulse r/t panic). My nurse practitioner decided today to put me on a 24 hour halter monitor even though she is fairly convinced that my tachycardia is from panic. I'm supposed to do everything like I usually do, mow the lawn and take walks. Sometimes my heart pounds when I bend over so she wants me to do that a lot.
    Has anyone notice that you get even more anxious and focused on your heart wearing one of these? I am quite nervous about it.

I actually did this back in April when i had another severe panic attack and was one of the tests they wanted to do. I actually did not suffer any panic or anxiety wearing it and did not really think about it much other than when trying to sleep with it on. The results of course all came back good.

I did have an episode of tachycardia when I got up. Not sure if that was just some postural hypotension and then I got scared and my pulse just shot up. I guess I can look at it in a positive way that I had the monitor on and now I will find out what it is. All the times in the ER with this fast pulse has been sinus tachycardia with panic. Normal heart. That is what I am hoping that this monitor will show. The problem is, is you have to wait awhile for the results. I still have around 8 hours to wear it. The docs have told me throughout all these tachycardia episodes that my heart was find and I could exercise. If the monitor does show this as panic tachycardia I think I can finally put that whole thing to rest. But now, after having another episode, I'm scared not knowing what the monitor showed.

I was mowing the lawn (like the ER docs said I could) and I had another episode of tachycardia. Don't know what is going on. Two in one day. I'm wondering if I am so intuned to my body now with this monitor that I am just fixating on it. I do get anxiety mowing the lawn because it does make my pulse go up, but I have been doing so much better lately that I don't have anything different going on except this monitor. I have never had two in one day. Guess I am just scared now that the monitor will show some problem, even though the EKG's with the 160 rate was normal. I guess I just really scared again and I was starting to get over some of that fear.

I completely understand your fear. Day after tomorrow I have to wear a monitor to check for arterial flutter. I am scared out of my mind and am having a panic attack over the thought of having arterial flutter. Plus doctor says my resting heart rate was low 58? and today I took my blood pressure and sometimes it would give me a heart rate of 51.

I've undergone Holter examinations four times. Twice for 24 hours, then for 48 hours, and finally 14 days! I was given extra patches so I was able to disconnect the device whilst showering, for example.

I would bet that you're having extra episodes because you're wearing the device. You're anxious and that's when arrhythmias often present themselves. Trust me, I work at a cardiac unit and if there had been any signs of serious heart problems, you would have been admitted, not sent home with a Holter.

Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much. I try to reassure myself that with all the EKG's I've had months ago in the ER with tachycardia (up to 160) and it was sinus tachycardia r/t panic, that they would have seen something if there was something wrong. Plus, a couple of years ago I had a cardiolyte test done (treadmill) and it was very good. So, I am hoping that these episodes that I have been having will be more of the same r/t anxiety/panic.
    Thanks for your reply.

Thread Information