Thread: Cheek biting and oral cancer

Cheek biting and oral cancer

I have this terrible habit of biting the inside of my cheeks and my lips. Today I found out this could be a factor in obtaining oral cancer. Naturally, this made me panic. I smoke and drink on occasion and I always have lesions in my mouth. I'm worried I've doomed myself. Does anyone know anything about this?

Re: Cheek biting and oral cancer

First I've heard. I'm a chronic biter, and my dentists, nor my maxilla facial consultant have ever said anything about it. Just that the lesions were harmless fibromas from biting

I still have lesions from braces years ago, and my dentist hasn't suggested any problems concerning them, either. Hasn't mentioned them at all. But I'm sure you know about the risks of oral cancer caused by smoking, right? Wish I knew of something that could help keep you from causing injury to your lips and mouth though.

I used to do manicures, and had a number of clients whose poor cuticles were always inflamed from biting. They told me stories of infections from leaving the nail bed open in places from it. SOME did say that they found relief by getting their nails done regularly, not necessarily as hard gels, but just in a pretty, weekly polish manicure with the soothing oils and lotions and massage. Having them look and feel so good gave them a bit of motivation to not bite cuticles or nails, in between. ...

I suppose you have tried crunching on veggie or bread sticks or chomping on really tasty gum or candies, hey? I'm sure it was terrible for my teeth but I used to love to put two big pieces of pink sweet bubble gum in my mouth at a time and chew and blow bubbles! I've seen it out in new flavours and sugar-free these days.

Good luck! xx
    Marie
    Last edited by SADnomore; 30-07-14 at 02:01.

I just recently bit my cheek insanely hard and it took almost 2 weeks for the canker sores to heal :-( I always bite my cheeks while eating. I'm currently scared I have oral cancer as well. The tip of my tongue has been burning for days and its scaring me :-(

I also biting with my back tooth both sides .it couse white area at my checks.

Smoking is a leading cause of OC, plain and simple. It's also one of the leading causes of heart and lung disease, plain and simple.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information