Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A crude question about stools but I have to ask?

A crude question about stools but I have to ask?

Hi all,

For months, I have had trouble with going to the toilet because of my anxiety, can go several times, which I guess could be IBS symtoms of anxiety.

For some stupid reason I have been checking over the last few days and what is bugging me, I have noticed some of the stools have been black in colour, not all black but parts of the stool.

This has been playing on my mind and I can not find many threads on stools, when doing a search.

Is it possible that stools can be black at times because my mind is playing with me again about cancer.

I had my prostate checked 12 months ago and I do not want to go to the doctors with this matter as I'm kind of doing ok at the moment.

Red

I think this is something to see your doctor about, even just for your own piece of mind

It's probobly nothing but if it's worrying you then it needs to be checked out.

Sophie

Stuff youre eating or meds can affect the colour of your stools!!!

Hi Red, I'm always happy to talk about bowel movements - it's my fixation lol!

Stools can vary a lot in colour depending on what you are eating. I believe a high red meat or iron intake can make them very dark. Also constipation can make them darker as they are passing more slowly through your body.

I have had periods of studying mine in great detail and sometimes I notice flecks of black in them. This, I think, is from green leafy veg (spinach, kale, greens). Also I take fibogel from time to time and I this also gives black flecks.

I was told once that stools should be the size of a banana and walnut coloured - which then lead me to believe I must be seriously ill because mine aren't like that!!! I have spent many many hours analysing what is down my loo, and worrying myself silly about it.

Do you have any other symptoms at the moment? If you are very worried, then you may want to see your GP for reassurance but if you are doing ok at the moment then maybe leave it a week or so and see if it changes. Maybe keep a note of what you are eating and see if it has any effect on what comes out the other end?

Best wishes,

Caroline

I agree with Carolione - lots of things can cause very dark stools. I find red wine make mine very dark and/or green! Black stools caused by blood, whcih is what I assume you are worried about are usually very foul smelling - retch worthy. My doc also said blood acts as a strong laxative - you have very bad runs. However, it could be that you have diverticulosis - inflamed folds of the digestive system, which can bleed slightly. I would go to the docs and ask them - they'll probably ask for a sample. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, however.

i'm no doctor but i remember reading that bleeding caused by bowel cancer (or any bleeding in the lower intestine) usually apears red in the stool. black stools can be caused by stomach ulcers.. but i agree these things change all the time, usually from food or wine or something harmless, no two stools are ever exactly the same color. if it continues or gets worse and you can't explain it a talk with your doctor might be in order, but it doesn't really seem to be something to worry about. as someone here said once before, normal people never inspect their stools.. it's more a sign that you have HA than anything else.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> I find red wine make mine very dark and/or green!
    <div align="right">Originally posted by seeker - 29 January 2007 : 19:41:42</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I'm glad you mentioned this as I was going to ask if it was only me! Also, after red wine I wake up looking like I've put dark red lip-stick on. It looks terrible with stubble [Ugh]

When I was in the depths of despair with anxiety I couldn't go properly even when I needed to or else I couldn't stop peeing.... out the back passage. [^] When the anxiety started to lift things went back to 'normal' but it took several months.

Keep On Keepin On

Hi all,

I tried phoning up the doctors surgery this morning but when I finally got through,, all appointments to see my doctor were taken.
    I will try first thing tomorrow morning as I had black in my stool again this morning.
    I'm in a mess now today, don't feel like eating, talking or doing anything, just about to book the afternoon off work as I can not concentrate..

Red

Hiya reddevil

i'm sorry to hear your feeling anxious. i started having panic attacks while in hospital after having my son and asked the nurse in a hysterical panic to look at my black stools, it turns out to much iron was causing my stools to go black.

so it might be something you've eaten or being constipated can change the colour.

Also IBS does do funny things to stools especially if you need to go a lot

if your really worried go to the doctor to set your mind at ease, he may diagnose IBS (which is more an annoyance than any sort of danger)

hope this helps
    love
    rachel

hi red, iron can definitely be a cause of black stools, as they tell you about this if you get prescribed iron tablets. Also, i'm not a stool expert (although i like to think i am lol), but from what i read somewhere, if you have black in your stools, it will be quite jelly like if it is blood (i guess like congealed blood). If it is just bits of black in there, i would think its more likely just something you've eaten, it doesnt sound like it is blood from what you have said.

mag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information