Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Visual Disturbances

Re: Visual Disturbances

Guy's & Girls,

First off, you are not alone. There are thousands of us experiencing the kind of visual disturbances that I've seen mentioned here in this thread. Most of us have to go through panic, anxiety, stress every days of our lives just for doctors to pass it off as madness.

I'm like all of you. I'm 31 and from the U.K and have been suffering from Visual Snow for the best part of 20 years. I also have bad static, visual trails, floaters, after images and all the other symtoms mentioned here including seeing wiggly worms (red blood cells) when looking at the th blue sky.

Straight lines seem distorted and I go through periods of blury vision due to the constant stress of focusing on this 24 hours a day. I like most of you have been given a full bill of health but something is wrong. Something that doctors have not taken much notice of because its not widley known.

The good thing is, there are 1,000's like you. 1000's campaigning for answers and doctors to stand up and notice this Visual Snow! Please visit this website where you can interact with others just like you. I'm there and it helps deal with the day to day problems we all go through.

At the moment, this website has found a US doctor that is prepared to study the effect of Visual Snow and hopefully come up with answers. In the mean time, at least be around other that understand what your going through. YOUR NOT ALONE!

www.visualsnow.com

Kind regards,

Scott

I have had flickering vision since I was a soldier in Iraq, 2004. I was 22. One night I was leaving my tent to go to the bathroom, and my vision started flickering rapidly, like a strobe light in a night club, except there was none, obviously.

This does not happen to me ordinairly, only, and not always, in places where the light isn't to bright. I also have strange sleeping experiences such as outer body experiences, and sleeping paralysis - is this connected?

Thanks

Richard, a former British soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahjon View Post
    Having "googled" the words "visual disturbances" to try and reassure myself that I don't need to see a doctor - I have come across this site. Having had classical migraines on and off at various stages of my life, I had settled into a fairly complacent routine of getting only 1 every few months as I reached my mid-fifties, and the fact that I no longer got such a blinding headache after the eye symptoms, neither was I sick, made me much more relaxed about the whole migraine thing (which when I was about 12 used to literally ruin many social occasions and made me very anxious about when I would get one). However strangely this week, I have had peculiar visual symptoms (day three now) - starting in the evening with what appeared to be bright "snow" type lights crossing my left field of vision from top to bottom - as though I was being rained on. Then since it has developed into vague migrainous type lights and also lots of "floaters" but quite definite floaters. I have had no definite headache but slight one over left eye and the left forehead feels tender to the touch. Do I consult a doctor or do I persevere and put this down to something that will pass and I shouldn't get stressed about?! Trouble is that in my job I drive quite a lot and don't feel very confident if my left eye sight is experiencing this. Incidentally I am 58, pretty fit as I run and go to the gym regularly and don't think exercise makes much difference as I have been to gym and run in the three days I've had this. Any suggestions welcome.
    ****Hi sarahjon
    I'm not sure when you wrote this but your symptoms sound exactly like those both my father and my best friend suffered, which were entirely unrelated to migraine, and were in fact symptoms of a detached retina. Both of them got treatment, my father with a laser and my friend an operation, and they made a full recovery, but the important thing is to get it checked by your optician urgently - speed is of the essence in treating a detached retina.
    Good Luck
    Jo****

Hiya

Thought I would add a little update to this, went to see an Ophthamologist yesterday due to these visual disturbance things she diagnosed occular migraine and reassurred me that it was defo not a stroke, however after putting drops in my eyes she was concerned that my optic nerve didn't look right and is sending me to the hospital in three months for a visual field test and a further look I am a bit concerned about MS I am quite worried as I am now adding two and two together and coming up with fear x 100 blasted Health Anxiety anyone else relate to this.

Cheers

Debbie

Hi there everyone! I'm new here.

I had a very scary incident I need answers to.This is the first forum I found that might be able to help.

I started to see irregular shapes move accross both eyes with stained glass window effects round the edges. This lasted half an hour and although I was making soup, when I tried to sit down and fead I couldnt see well enough. I also realised I wouldnt be able to drive to the shops if this continued.

I phoned my optician who must have thought I was strange and when discussing it with her it went.

All I can think looking at your forum is it was a pre-migraine display as I have grown out of migraines for about 10 years. i only get 3 day headaches now.

Can anyone just let me know this is what it is? No headache afterwards but I have felt out of sorts and light headed for the rest of the day.

I went shopping though!

I must say I'm really scared at the moment. I've been getting this thing with my eyesight for a couple of months where I feel cross eyed when I look at anything in the distance and I feel like I'm sensitive to the light. I took a trip to the GP explaining my symptoms which also includes, numbness, tingling and pins and needles all over my body. She said she'd refer me to a neurologist and I got a phone call the next day to go in and see him which was this morning. When I sat down he looked at the sheet in front of him then said so matter of factly "Suspected Brain tumour." As you can imagine this sent me into a complete panic as this was so out of the blue and I thought I was going to be sick. Any way he took some history down and ruled out MS with the pins and needles and numbness and said it could be the anxiety and panic which is causing these problems. As a precautionary measure he's referring me for a brain scan in around 6 weeks which is now just made my panic and anxiety leves shoot through the roof. I've not been suffering with headaches and my eyesight is perfect so I thought it strange she suspected a brain tumour. The neuro said the scan will probably come back normal but wants to check just to be on the safe side so now I've got this over my head for the next 6 weeks which is going to be living hell for my anxiety levels. I can honestly say I've never been so scared in my life :(

Hi all, so glad i have found this thread, my thoughts go out to all you guys that have posted.
    here goes, basicallly i have been suffering these strange visual disturbances for about 3 months now, blurry vision, after images, bright coloured lights, floaters. i have never had any trouble with my eyes in my entire life.
    it coincided with me stopping ssri antidepressants citalopram,i have been checked out by opticians including retina scans, 2 doctors and they all say there is nothing wrong with me, that i have better than 20/20 vision and that it must be the medication withdrawall.

The trouble is that was 3 months ago and i have restarted the citalopram due to the anxiety of this and even that has not made any difference.

My question is this, does anyone else have experiences of these type of visual disturbances regarding antideppresant withdrawal, and if so, did things improve,/ how long or did they stay!

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated as i am worried sick, i have just came out of a terrible time regarding depression and anxiety and this is not helping at all.
    Thanks.

Post Re: Visual Disturbances

Well, like most here, this was very new to me. I am 58 and in great health and all of a sudden I have had 3 occurances in 7 months. The first one I thought looked like stock charts and was (I thought) Bi lateral and it lasted for 5 - 8 minutes. I was in panic mode and thought I was stroking out or haing a fit! On Saturday past it was more in the left eye with jagged white lines flicking mostly at the periphery and then they finally went away.. there was no head ache but my panic was very evident. However, it felt like my peripheral vision in the left eye was less than normal. Today, it started as I came into a dark room and was looking at the computer screen after changing my glasses from distance to reading. It was like a small ball with jagged outside edges and then it got bigger and bigger and then disappeared with in 5 minutes. The sides of my head were sore ( muscles)

I went to the doctor, she took my BP and it was elevated as I was sure i was going into a coma next and she gave me eye drops and sent me to my optomtrist as the opthamologists in the area were too busy to see me today without a 8 hour wait.

The optomtrist asked tons of questions and checked out the peripheral vision and in the end suggested that I was experiencing a migraine headache without the migrain portion.. After each one I felt wiped, and I am sure that is from an adrenal dump ..

If I can believe the medical community, it is not common to have the light effects without the pain, but it is enough to make one appreciate normal vision but i must say I am apprehensive about having anymore of these... I will check out the drug amitripltine and see the concommitant side effects ... Oh yes, I bought a BP monitor too so I can make sure the BP is not an issue..

Thanks to all for posting, it is great to not feel so alone and isolated with this issue!

Miss Champers.. this is understandable. My dov thought she heard a gurgle in my carotid artery and I had to wait 2 weeks to find out whether my head was not being supplied with blood.. I am sure my BP was elevated and anxiety was over the top. All that said, I would rather have the scan and rule out any seriious stuff, then go through 2 docs today and still be left with the nagging question why nowm what really is it and most likely I am going to have a huge stroke. So, prayer is the best weapon here and although this may seem strange coming form a guy who is subject to panic when these events happen, I can tell you the only peace I had for those 2 weeks was the time I committed the issue to the Lord .. I am still learning that I am not in control of anything and I live each day rejoicing and by grace... Have the scan and in the end, only God has control of your life... so rest in Him!

Exclamation Re: Visual Disturbances

My vision is ALWAYS casuing me worry, i'm always dizzy too but it would be nice to know if anybody experiences a brief slip of vision...it's hard to explain but what i mean is like every thing suddenly slips to one side really quickly but then returns to normal as quickly as it came on?

Feel like one day i will just die...all these symptoms cant be anxiety? can they?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information