Thread: How can i stop my mind controlling my stomach?

How can i stop my mind controlling my stomach?

I've been posting here a lot recently, sorry if I'm being a nuisance. Since this bout of HA has flared up I have been hypersensitive about every little twinge/pain/sensation in my stomach. Every time I feel any sensation in my stomach/bowels I get a surge of anxiety, it's awful. I get scared that I'll have to go to the toilet which brings fear and anxiety every time. I really am trying to rationalise my fears and I am succeeding at times but this has started to make me not want to leave my house.

I work so I have to force myself to go out, nearly lost my job 5 years ago because of HA. I hate what this does to me, I am a very capable 50 year old mother of 5 children and I can think rationally about everything else, just not my or my family's health. I have a counsellor who come to see regularly from the drug and alcohol team because of my son's mental health and prescription drug addiction. I have told her about my HA and she has been very understanding, she has offered to go to my gp with me, even to speak for me if need be. I have developed a huge fear of anything medical over the past few years so avoid seeing my gp at all costs. I also have a dentist phobia. I have my first breast screening coming up soon, it's going to be so hard to go to this appointment.

Sorry I'm going off my original subject but it's all connected. Not looking for reassurance, just some rational thoughts.

Re: How can i stop my mind controlling my stomach?

It's hard. I am hypersensitive about my gut as well. I can feel every single thing happening from entry to exit when I'm having anxiety.

The best thing I have found is to avoid my GI triggers especially if I am stressed. So avoiding certain foods that cause me problems and eating foods that feel good (my go to foods when I need to feel better are bananas, carrots, oatmeal, and yogurt, but everyone is different), avoiding stimulants like caffeine and processed sugar, avoiding medications that are hard on the stomach where possible (NSAIDs are a trigger for me), and drinking lots of water and soothing teas (ginger is my go to, chamomile is good if you like it).

The thing that always actually yields improvement for me is working on reducing the anxiety as a whole. Because it's a vicious cycle - anxiety causes gut problems, gut problems cause anxiety. Your gut and brain play off each other like bad children. So I started meditating and am taking up yoga again. For you it might be something else that helps, whether talking to the counsellor or going for walks. I also mentally tell myself when I feel gut sensations that this is all they are, sensations, and try to let them pass. And if you have to go... you go. I have an in-law who knows the location of every public washroom on their trip, just in case. Half the time they don't need it, but it's a comfort to them.

But it is hard. It takes time, and progress is slow (I remind myself every time I say this, because I get discouraged too... all the time). But slowly but surely if you can calm the anxiety the rest will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by EKB View Post
    It's hard. I am hypersensitive about my gut as well. I can feel every single thing happening from entry to exit when I'm having anxiety.

The best thing I have found is to avoid my GI triggers especially if I am stressed. So avoiding certain foods that cause me problems and eating foods that feel good (my go to foods when I need to feel better are bananas, carrots, oatmeal, and yogurt, but everyone is different), avoiding stimulants like caffeine and processed sugar, avoiding medications that are hard on the stomach where possible (NSAIDs are a trigger for me), and drinking lots of water and soothing teas (ginger is my go to, chamomile is good if you like it).

:
    This is a very good idea because it gives you a feeling of control over your problem.

I'm an IBS sufferer with HA. All my symptoms are caused by anxiety.
    I've spoken to several doctors and a nutritionist who all told me that my diet doesn't actually affect my IBS, it's the anxiety that needs to be addressed.
    But it's a vicious circle when one has HA too.

I find that if I pay attention to my diet it gives me a feeling of control and other than that, having a diagnosis of IBS from a trusted doctor usually eases the HA.

There is medication available that is a combination anti spasmodic and anti anxiety drug and there are some good OTC remedies too. I use Iberogast which is herbal with no side effects and does seem to help with the pain.

I'm with you on this one. As soon as I get anxious, it's my stomach that gets it.

Everyone's different but for me, I avoid foods which I know make it worse (onions, chillis, pulses), drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine all together, reduce my alcohol intake and, like Becky, I take Iberogast which seems to help (it might be psychological but who cares if it works?).

Having said all that, the best possible thing you can do is stay active and get out and about. With five kids and a job, you'd be hard pressed not to do this!

Take care

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by EKB View Post

The thing that always actually yields improvement for me is working on reducing the anxiety as a whole. Because it's a vicious cycle - anxiety causes gut problems, gut problems cause anxiety. Your gut and brain play off each other like bad children. So I started meditating and am taking up yoga again. For you it might be something else that helps, whether talking to the counsellor or going for walks. I also mentally tell myself when I feel gut sensations that this is all they are, sensations, and try to let them pass. And if you have to go... you go. I have an in-law who knows the location of every public washroom on their trip, just in case. Half the time they don't need it, but it's a comfort to them.

But it is hard. It takes time, and progress is slow (I remind myself every time I say this, because I get discouraged too... all the time). But slowly but surely if you can calm the anxiety the rest will follow.
    I really want to reduce the anxiety and some days I feel a bit better, then the intrusive thoughts start and the anxiety floods through me. I start to think maybe I will have to have tests done, then I panic even more. It's a vicious circle that's really taking over my life.

---------- Post added at 15:50 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Beckybecks View Post
    This is a very good idea because it gives you a feeling of control over your problem.

I'm an IBS sufferer with HA. All my symptoms are caused by anxiety.
    I've spoken to several doctors and a nutritionist who all told me that my diet doesn't actually affect my IBS, it's the anxiety that needs to be addressed.
    But it's a vicious circle when one has HA too.

I find that if I pay attention to my diet it gives me a feeling of control and other than that, having a diagnosis of IBS from a trusted doctor usually eases the HA.

There is medication available that is a combination anti spasmodic and anti anxiety drug and there are some good OTC remedies too. I use Iberogast which is herbal with no side effects and does seem to help with the pain.
    I think my ibs is definitely stress related although some foods can give me issues. I'm on citalopram but have been taking it for 12 years and I think it's not really working anymore. What is iberogast? Where can you get it?

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    I'm with you on this one. As soon as I get anxious, it's my stomach that gets it.

Everyone's different but for me, I avoid foods which I know make it worse (onions, chillis, pulses), drink plenty of water, avoid caffeine all together, reduce my alcohol intake and, like Becky, I take Iberogast which seems to help (it might be psychological but who cares if it works?).

Having said all that, the best possible thing you can do is stay active and get out and about. With five kids and a job, you'd be hard pressed not to do this!

Take care

Pip
    Three of my kids are adults, I just have ,13 and 9 year old at home but I'm worried that they will be picking up on my anxiety. I'm trying really hard to keep it in check but it's an uphill struggle.

I really hope you feel better, I know being a mom with anxiety can be hard.

Thread Information