Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i feel like im dying when i try and sleep!!

Re: i feel like im dying when i try and sleep!!

I sometimes get a similar feeling, If i am really tired, especially after a night shift and try and go to sleep i wake up sudenly feeling like i cant breathe and my hearts about to to stop, really makes me panic, think with me its a mixture of anxiety and tiredness, I really dont think its anything for you to worry about x

I know exactly how you're feeling, whenever I go to sleep I felt like I'm not going to wake up or I'll just drift off and die, sometimes I wake up in a night terror or panic too, horrible but I know how you feel, it's just a normal anxiety response, chin up xxx

Re: i feel like im dying when i try and sleep!! Answer

Hello,

First off, I would like to say that what you are experiencing before/while you sleep is very answerable and treatable.

1. Falling asleep is akin to dying. Your nervous system reacts the same way. Hence why you get a sudden burst of adrenalin.
    2. Twitching and being unable to sleep because of adrenalin bursts can be treated with anti-anxiety medication. Find one that works for you that will eventually balance your circadian rhythms (sleep patterns). I use Cipralex 10mg to achieve this - I have no trouble sleeping anymore... it was such a relief!
    3. Do not use alcohol to fall asleep, as it will not let you have proper REM sleep and is dependent.

On a side point, if you are in front of a computer (for work or leisure) or television for long periods of time it is highly recommended to take a walk outside with no other stimuli (like, a MP3 player, phone or what not).

Hope this helps!

Kai

that is horrible.I woke from being asleep thinking and feeling like I was dying.Sent me into terrible panic attacks.I still get anxious every night when I get in bed.A part of me thinks I am dying now, yet after about all the med tests that can be done, nothing is out of the ordinary.I still do not understand what is going on.I am stunned at the severe intensity of the emotions and physical sensations experienced in a full on panic attack.Its been just over 3 months now and I do not know if I should carry on with life or just sit and wait for the next panic tsunami,if it even comes again.Oh what to do.Hows thing going by the way?Are you sleeping better now?

Hi, Neesh. I had the same problem when I was under a lot of stress. I even "felt" my heart stoping for a second and my breathe "going slower to nearly no breathing". The most interesting thing was feeling a sudden rush through my core to my head, the same feeling when your are about to pass out. Yet I wake up every time. It's an anxiety thingy and I overcame it with some relaxing herbs and relaxing music.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesh X View Post
    Hi,

I hope this is a part of Health Anxiety but even my theapist at CBT says hes never heard of this!
    When i try and sleep day or night time i dont feel like im going to sleep, it feels like im passing out or dying.
    Then i get a masive rush of anxiety, like my heart stops and then it jumps me straight up.
    Its a terrifying experience i have found myself drinking up to a bottle of wine a night just to get a few hours sleep. iF I dont i just have to deal with these horrible surges over and over all night.
    I really hope some one out there has experienced something like this because no one seems to know what it is!!
    Thanks
    Neesh X
    I get this loads all the time I feel this it's anxiety I am sure my counsellor told me! :/ it is horrid though x

I sometimes get that when my anxiety is in overdrive.

It makes me afraid to let go and sleep and I jump up suddenly as soon as I feel myself falling asleep.
    it feels like im suffocating and I used to wake up bolt upright with a gasp in the middle of the night sometimes.

I also see flashes like lightning when I am just on the cusp of falling asleep.

it's scary but harmless it just means you're extremely anxious.

Hi Neesh x

I've also had this and it got that bad i was afraid too go to sleep as u said, i went to my docs and she told me it was (night terrors) she said kind of similar to the dream that you're falling off a cliff and just before you hit the ground bang you wake up terrified! The GPs advice was to read a book or listen to relaxation music low, even watch a comedy, i was 18 when this was going on and I'm now 30 and still have bouts of it so i totally understand what you're going through really frightening but try some of the above and see how it goes for you ;-)

Hope you get a good nights sleep Neesh all the best

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our mind" Bob Barley.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesh X View Post
    Hi,

I hope this is a part of Health Anxiety but even my theapist at CBT says hes never heard of this!
    When i try and sleep day or night time i dont feel like im going to sleep, it feels like im passing out or dying.
    Then i get a masive rush of anxiety, like my heart stops and then it jumps me straight up.
    Its a terrifying experience i have found myself drinking up to a bottle of wine a night just to get a few hours sleep. iF I dont i just have to deal with these horrible surges over and over all night.
    I really hope some one out there has experienced something like this because no one seems to know what it is!!
    Thanks
    Neesh X
    Hi im new to this, I am getting exactly the same and im really panicking its my heart or something, ive had it for years but is happening more and more frequently lately, maybe once a week, but last night it happened at least 5 times whilst trying to sleep, il be drifting off and feel like im becoming more and more distant, almost fading away, with a continuous beep in my ears almost like a flat line, then I jolt up gasping for air and with my pulse racing, after 30 seconds or so I calm down and go back to normal but then it happens again, it feels like if I were to let myself go to sleep im not going to wake up like im dying or fainting its the worse feeling in the world and its really scaring me, surely this cant be normal, I don't feel anxious or stressed at all ???? could it be heart trouble ?

Don't worry Neesh, I get the same thing when I'm having a particularly anxious night! You're not alone

I tend to find that the first 3-5 times I attempt to fall asleep I get the sensation and it feels as if my heart jumps and I jolt up in a sudden panic, and it's happened so often that I'm rather used to it now.
    I tend to lay down, perhaps play a game on my phone for a while to calm down and then attempt sleep again. Eventually you drift off no problem You don't need to drink to sleep~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information