Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jobcentre interview...arrrghhhhhh!!

Re: Jobcentre interview...arrrghhhhhh!!

Hi Debs

I know exactly where you are coming from with the treatment received by employees at the JC. Whilst I completely appreciate that they have a job to do and guidelines to work within, they can appear very abrasive and uncaring at times.

Equally, they must meet many claimants who are not being entirely honest about why they are claiming or the efforts that they are putting into finding work - or not as the case may be.

To be eligible for JSA it states quite clearly that you have to be actively seeking work and that includes any and all jobs going after you reach the 6 month mark at present.

If you are not prepared to operate within these guidelines, what are they to do - they are only "going by the book".

It is somewhat of a cleft stick!

However, have you ever thought about setting up your own business ? If you have, it may well be the time to start now! I do believe that you can claim tax credits if you start your own business and it presents you with no hassle from attending the Job Centre and being told to accept any work.

All you need to do is sign off and say you are starting up a business (ask if they have any current courses or financial incentives to do this - they do sometimes depending on funding). Contact tax credits hotline and they will do an appraisal for you.

If you look at the Tax Credits online calculator, you can do a quick forecast and complet it as a self employed person - obviously in your first year of trading, you could well anticipate zero profits whilst you get started or a very low level of income.

Just a thought honey. It may be worthwhile investigating.

Good luck

Macc Noodle
    x

Hi Macc,

I'm afraid that I can be very stubborn and I do think that I will drop my claim if I am forced into a job of their choosing. I simply won't accept that. They just want another claimant off their books, regardless of that person's situation, and across the board rules or not, that does not work for me.

It is strange you mention working for myself, as that is something I have been considering and would love to do. I had discounted it though, as I just do not have the back up funds or start up funds to do it. My ideal would be to run a business selling baby clothing and accessories, but as I say, I just am not financially stable enough to do it.

I am not naive enough to think even that would be a solution to my work probs as I know that starting and maintaining a business is not easy and with so much competition out there, even more tenuous. I also know it involves long hours and hard work (which I would hope the NHS prepared me for, lol)

I would just love to give it a shot.

To be honest, my life really is one big mess right now. I seem to have lost hope and direction.

Thanks for your kind reply.xxx

hi debs xxx

the government is doing all sorts of investment in setting up your own business at the moment. speak to a business link in your area, JCP should also be able to point you in the right direction if you tell them that's something you would like to consider.

social enterprise is another option where there are various start up grants, you don't have to do an activity that directly relates to your social mission - you could sell baby clothes as a business model but your profits would go towards mental health or something similar. you can still pay yourself a good wage.

i feel your pain with losing direction. i've come to the realisation i'm a great 'starter' but not a finisher. i'm floating from one thing to the next and it's horrible.

hope you find the right path again soon xxxxxxx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information