Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Hi, I have posted a couple of times on here about coming off Amitriptyline, well this week I have taken the plunge and thought it might be useful to share my experience (not that there's much to say so far).

I have been on 10mg a day for the last 11 months, on friday I took 1/2 a tablet and have done every day since - so far I can honestly sayI haven't felt any different. I plan to stay on 5mg for a few weeks then go to either 1/4 tablet daily or 1/2 tablet every other day after another week or so I will stop completely so long as I still feel ok

I know it seems extreme for coming off such a low dose but I don't want to take any risks as I really don't want any symptoms to de-rail my progress ... will keep you posted.

Re: My Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Well it's been almost 2 weeks now and I have to say I don't feel any different at all so I am going to reduce down further as of Friday to 1/2 a tablet (5mg) every two days and continue that for a further two weeks and see where I am then.

So far so good ... I must admit I have had one or two very mild panicky moments and a couple of bouts of mild palps but I am not convinced that this is down to withdrawal and is just normal run of the mill stuff I would have had anyway. I am exercising a lot and not drinking much alcohol at all (but then again I haven't much in the last 12 months anyway) so doing what I can to help myself naturally.

Still happy to take it slowly though as that seems to be the way forward!

Just a quick update to say I took my last 1/2 tablet on Friday and then skipped Saturday as planned. I was due to have another 5mg on Sunday but felt really good so decided not to, so far so good. If I start to feel any major withdrawalls I will revert back to my original plan of 1/2 tablet every other day but all things being equal I may have taken my last Ami

Not such a good week last week! I took my last 1/2 tablet on Friday then felt ok so skipped my plan to go every other day. It would seem either a) these drugs are a bit more powerful than I gave them credit for or b) I still really need them after all. The last week was pretty bad, panic attacks, anxiety, palps, chest pains, dizzyness, irritable the whole lot ... I tried to stick it out but it just felt so unatural and "not me" to be like that after so many months of relative calm, I finally succumed last night (Sunday) and took half a tablet & I already feel so much better.

It's wierd, I feel quite demoralised by my attempt to come off the Amitrip even though I am no worse off than my original plan to go 1/2 tab every two days. It seems I tried too quickly despite the low dose I am on. Not sure what I'll do from here on. Either go back to 5mg a day for a few weeks then try again or go 5mg every other day from now, guess I'll just see how I go.

My main issue is was my bad feelings withdrawal or was it the anxiety & panic that hte tabs were correcting? More confused than ever but at least the physical symptoms have subsided!

Thanks for posting this.

I have 10mg a day for pain-related issues and am wondering if I should stop when my packet runs out. Keep us posted, ta.

I took another 1/2 tab (5mg) last night and feel pretty much back where I was so think I will carry on like this for a few weeks then have another go at coming off, but much more slowly next time.

This is just my experience of course but perhaps get your next packet before you stop taking them, just so you have some in reserve and my advise would be to wean off very slowly, but that said everyone's different ... Good luck & let me know how you get on.

I'm sure you're doing the right thing Earthworm, I had a bit of a struggle coming off another tricyclic a while back but got there in the end. Slowly is definitely the way to go if you are having difficulties x

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

A quick update to say the last week or so has been pretty terrible, major anxiety feelings coming back, a couple of major panic attacks along with palps, chest pains, dizzy heads the full works. Not sure if it's as a result of trying to come of the Ami or not but anyway as of Saturday I went back up to 10mg a day and so far so good. I'm trying not to get too down about the regression and remember all the progres I've made in the last 12 months - if I need the meds for a bit longer so be it, I'd rather be on them and feel well ... might try and come off again in the summer once the sun is shining

Never mind Earthworm . The most important thing is to keep remembering not to beat yourself up about this. As you said yourself, 10mg is a small dose and if it keeps you well, that's great. Try again when the time feels right xx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Hi Earthworm.

I agree, dont beat yourself up about not doing it this time round. I remember coming off them the first time, it wasnt pleasant! It took me about 6 months during which my anxiety increased and I also felt like I was back to square one but really I wasn't. I made sure I was mentally in a good place when I came off them, things were going well and that helped a lot with being able to cope with the panic attacks. I think you need to make sure your in a good place and feeling positive before you wthdraw, make sure you have the support you need.

You wouldn't think that you'd get a withdrawal from such a small dose but you defintely do! Once I'd withdrawn totally it took about a month for me to start feeling better. Wishing you good luck with this
    Last edited by daydreamer; 29-03-11 at 18:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information