Thread: So terrified of partner dying please help!

So terrified of partner dying please help!

Hello, I am hoping someone out there may be able to offer me some advice/reassurance about my intense fear that either myself or my partner (we are engaged and have been together 6 years) dying suddenly. I have a fear of sudden death and him or I just dropping dead. I have read so many stories about younger people (I am 27 he is 30) dying very suddenly and I am so scared of that happening to us. I can't imagine being without him and the thought of it brings me to tears.
    I know it sounds crazy and irrational because it's not something we can do anything about I just can't get it out of my head and it's starting to really affect my mental health.
    On top of this I am a massive hypochondriac so I panic about every anyway!
    Any response would be appreciated.

Re: So terrified of partner dying please help!

Like things such as sporadic fatal insomnia and similar fears, this is such an incredibly rare genetic condition like sudden death syndrome doesn't even warrant consideration. You stand a better chance hitting the lotto.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I don't have advice but wanted to share I too am dealing with this and just made a post before I saw yours. I started therapy and yoga (already on meds for now) but we can overcome this!!

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=201452

Quote Originally Posted by Scaredbear View Post
    Hello, I am hoping someone out there may be able to offer me some advice/reassurance about my intense fear that either myself or my partner (we are engaged and have been together 6 years) dying suddenly. I have a fear of sudden death and him or I just dropping dead. I have read so many stories about younger people (I am 27 he is 30) dying very suddenly and I am so scared of that happening to us. I can't imagine being without him and the thought of it brings me to tears.
    I know it sounds crazy and irrational because it's not something we can do anything about I just can't get it out of my head and it's starting to really affect my mental health.
    On top of this I am a massive hypochondriac so I panic about every anyway!
    Any response would be appreciated.

I used to have similar thoughts about my mum. I know how it feels.
    But seriously, you 100% have nothing to worry about

Hi Scaredbear,

I can relate to this too - my partner and I have been together for ten years, but we are 61 and 58, so realistically we're unlikely to have more than another twenty years, unless we're very lucky. I get the feeling that some of your fear is coming from the thought that you won't be able to live or cope without him, that losing him would destroy you, so even though you rationally know that it's incredibly unlikely, you can't be reassured? It would be a devastating loss for sure, but you would still have your family and friends, and your capacity for love, which no-one can take away from you. Looking back over my life, I wish I hadn't wasted so much emotional energy worrying over things that never happened - and when things did happen, somehow I coped with them. Unlike me, you met the love of your life while you were still young - enjoy every minute, Scaredbear!

Thread Information