Thread: Amitriptyline withdrawal confusion...

Unhappy Amitriptyline withdrawal confusion...

Hey there guys! I am totally new to NMP and I thought this was the best place to come for advice. I was on amitriptylene since February for anxiety, on a dose of 20mg every night. I cut that down to 10mg 2 months ago and have now stopped. I feel terrible. I feel unhappy, I have lost my appetite, I have trouble sleeping as I sweat and have this constantly tense feeling. I am scared that these feelings may never go, but am clinging to hope.

Many thanks for anyone who read this

Dean

Re: Amitriptyline withdrawal confusion...

When did you cut down? It's normal to feel terrible for a few weeks after coming of a medication. It's likely just to be withdrawal. Check in with your doctor for some reassurance, but don't worry too much because withdrawal generally causes feelings like that at first.

Unhappy Re: Amitriptyline withdrawal confusion...

I cut down between 1 and 2 weeks ago. My doctor said that withdrawal symptoms were unlikely because I was on such a low dose - but they all fit how I feel. I just need some hope.

Amitrip is a pretty strong drug even at a low dose. I was on it for a month at 10-20mg and it didn't agree with me and I had terrible side-effects. It affects each person differently. Give your doctor a call and explain how you're feeling, because it's important to know why we feel bad!

I have been on Amytrip for about 3 years, between 25mg - 75 mg for depression/anxiety.
    I recently (finally) got off the drug.

It has ALWAYS given me withdrawal, so I learnt to step down the dose very slowly, by one quarter of a 25mg tablet every 4-6 days.
    But once i got down to 12mg per day, I found it impossible to avoid getting sick (mainly nausea) for that final 'leap' to a zero dose.
    In the last 14 days, I have only taken a couple of tiny chips of a tablet (about 3mg!!) to help relieve the nausea, with the last one about 10 days ago. But I am still feeling a little bit sick... it is a VERY SLOW process.
    Each day is a tiny improvement, then I'll take a step back.

Give it a bit more time, maybe?
    Last edited by sydneyguy; 13-08-10 at 08:21. Reason: Mistake

Last time I came off them they took quite a while to get out of my system, pretty long withdrawal process with these I think unfortunately. Hand in there, things WILL improve, try not to overthink too much about anxiety - just put it all down to withdrawal, which is what it is! good luck

Thread Information