Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Re: My Amitriptyline Withdrawal

Thanks for the post daydreamer, that's really reasuring to hear and sound advice. I am due a review in June / July so will see where I am then, I thought I was in a good place earlier this year when I tried to come off but if I'm honest there were a couple of pretty big stresses in my life at that time.

I'll get there eventually I'm sure, the main thing is I no longer feel bad about my first attempt at withdrawall, it'll happen eventually.

I saw my GP and was advised to stay on 10mg for now, though it's a low dose it does help me get to sleep. My GP told me that I could stop anytime I felt I could and I should not have any withdrawal issues. Mmmmm!

If you need to take the meds a little longer, don't worry about it, there is no shame in needing the boost. If you had an infection you would need antibiotics and A/Ds help illness it's just we sometimes feel "weak" for using them.

your welcome! I am back on 10mgs of these after a 3yr break. After a period of stress I started to suffer bad anxiety, so I decided to see if these would work for me again but being on such a low dose its hard to tell if they have made an impact. Im not even thinking about coming off them yet, in fact Im thinking about increasing my dose! I dont care anymore whether I have to stay on these for life, if they help me even a little bit then its worth it. I used to feel bad for relying on AD's but now I know that life is short and I just want to feel better and able to do things again, so if these do end up helping me then brilliant! LOL!

I'm with you on that Hazel & daydreamer, there is no hardship taking a small tablet every day, it doesn't impact on my life in any ngative way at all and as you say if it makes even a bit of difference then why not.

Hazel, I am sure my GP would say exactly the same thing about withdrawal but like you (and after my last attempt) I'm not convinced.

I'd like to think that one day I will come off them but if that's not for a month, a year or more then so what ... live for now eh!

Live for now and look after yourself, whatever it takes to get well (that's safe and legal obvs!!).

Last edited by Hazel B; 01-04-11 at 21:58. Reason: sp

I think Amitriptyline is not quite the trip as the other more modern meds getting on or off, I have been on it for years. But it did nothing for the anxiety part. So I am on a low dose Amitriptyline for fibromyalgia.

Im on this for migraines at 10mg but have found my anxiety has increased whilst on it not to mention being very tired-i took 5mg last night and was planning on taking none tonight-but after reading this should I take it slower??

Thanks for this thread, i think it has let me know there is nothing seriously wrong with me.

I have been taking around 25mg Amitriptyline for around 8 months.
    It was given to me to help with not being able to sleep, and it worked OK at first (as i put it, it dumbed me down, so my brain stopped over thinking as i tried to sleep).

Around 10 days ago, i stopped taking them (joint decision between me and the Doc ), and at first i felt fine, and quiet good (had 7 days of sleeping pills to help too).
    But now WOW... what's in these things, i thought 25mg was very small?
    I didn't get anxiety or panic attacks before, but now, i feel terrible, i feel dizzy, sick (have been sick several times), not wanting to eat, going to the toilet several times a day, hot sweats, palpitations, chest pains very strange sleeping and feeling generally not myself.

Glad i though to look up withdrawal from these little pills, as was beginning to think i need the hospital and quick, before i drop dead of a hart attack or something but i suppose this is the anxiety and panic that they cause.
    I really hope this passes soon!

Should i take half a one, to make me feel better again?, or will this put me back to the beginning again?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information