Thread: Forgiving self after travel cancellation because of anxiety

Forgiving self after travel cancellation because of anxiety

Hi - I've been living with anxiety/panic for over 25 years,and thought I was actually doing okay. But this week our family planned a trip to celebrate my son's graduation. I just had to cancel it as my anxiety about it was becoming overwhelming and affecting my health. While I'm sure that cancelling and finding another way to celebrate was right, I am having a harder time forgiving myself for the impact my anxiety has on others... Suggestions welcomed - thx.

Re: Forgiving self after travel cancellation because of anxiety

People don't understand how much of a physical and emotional burden anxiety can be. The problem is everyone feels worried/anxious but I think 'other' people can just cope with it better. They have something about their brains that files it away into a box and they carry on whereas for us it dominates everyday life and manifests itself with real, albeit psychosomatic, symptoms.

You should forgive yourself because you know what this is like and it's not your fault. At the same time have you looked at options to help cope with it?

Re: Forgiving self after travel cancellation because of anxiety

I totally agree with what the above reply stated. Don't be so hard on yourself. We have to struggle every day, sometimes, every minute, to cope with living with anxiety whereas other people do not. Getting on a plane is something simple for most people, but with anxiety, it can become the most daunting thing. It's okay to feel a little bummed for backing out but it isn't the end of the world. I have to learn to be more forgiving of myself when I experience anxiety as well.

Thread Information