Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scared of conversations with people??

Re: Scared of conversations with people??

Quote Originally Posted by 40127253 View Post
    I've had anxiety for about ten years and at the moment it seems like the social aspect of it is taking over and I'm finding myself avoiding social situations where there is a chance I will have to have a one-on-one conversation with anybody, even close friends. I feel like during any conversation my anxiety takes over so I can't think of a normal response to what the person is saying and instead all I can think about is how to escape or what is wrong with me that I can't do this one simple thing.

I'm also reluctant to ever take the propranolol I've been prescribed because I think I somehow feel like relying on medication like that is admitting defeat and I should be able to overcome it myself but time and time again I feel deflated after any social interaction because I feel like I've not improved.

Does anyone experience anything similar and find that beta blockers are the way to go?

Thanks
    Rachel
    Hey rachel I got given propanolol a few years ago when I had my anxiety crisis, I took it 2-3 max 4 times and threw it away I didnt like it at all and still dont take anything for anxiety to this day. I remember it always made my body and legs feel quite heavy, like the feeling you get after a long deep sleep just after you get up and cant wake up, And I hated that because im used to my energy and alertness.

In regards to talking to people I think im on that same level as you, I dont talk to many people just those close to me, And I dont feel comfortable with talking to people I dont know...and feel as though I have no interest either, like im not missing out on anything.. I wouldnt say nervous though, maybe a few years ago.. But its easy to get nervous when you have to break the ice with someone and worst if you are forced to talk with people you dont really like or get along with in a scenario such as work.

Sounds like there are a few of us in the same position. I have taken some propanolol but I wanted the physical symptoms to stop. I don't know how to make this go away.

Hi all,

I came to the forum thinking about opening my own thread, but then I stumble upon this one, talking pretty much about what I've been feeling for the past few months.

Lately, I'm having troubles keeping a regular conversation, even with close friends and family. I gag in almost every sentence, because I'm constantly analyzing my words and making a huge effort to get my speech to sound right. I feel like my brain is always trying to correct me or stop me like "oh, you said that word wrong" or "that phrase doesn't make any sense!" and then I gag and try to correct myself which, most of the time, just get things worse for me. I never came to a point where I cracked down, cried or anything, but the frustration is adding up day after day and I'm feeling quite bad about it now because this didn't happen before! In the past I even talked in public with no problem at all; I was a radio DJ, I was a team manager, I did lot's of stuff where talking was crucial, and I always did it quite well. But now I can't, and I think I know the reason for that, but I want to hear you opinion.

I'm a quite insecure guy, as far as my appearance goes. I don't consider myself ugly, but I'm very conscious about some aspects, which add up to the insecureness. Having that said, I'm dealing with an eye infection for quite a while now, almost 6 months (yup!), so my face has been in public not just with an infected eye and eyebrow, but with glasses up my nose (normally I use contacts but I can't now for obvious reasons). And that makes me feel week, embarrassed. I can't even look someone in the face for too long because my brain starts telling me "he's seeing your eye, don't show it, look away". I get nervous and... maybe that's why I can't even speak normally now? Does that make any sense to you?

I'm sorry if this is like an "off-topic" here, If you guys thinks I should open a thread for this somewhere else please let me know, I'll do it right away.

Thanks for you time.
    All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by vanxious View Post
    Hi all,

I'm dealing with an eye infection for quite a while now, almost 6 months (yup!), so my face has been in public not just with an infected eye and eyebrow, but with glasses up my nose (normally I use contacts but I can't now for obvious reasons). And that makes me feel week, embarrassed. I can't even look someone in the face for too long because my brain starts telling me "he's seeing your eye, don't show it, look away". I get nervous and... maybe that's why I can't even speak normally now? Does that make any sense to you?

I'm sorry if this is like an "off-topic" here, If you guys thinks I should open a thread for this somewhere else please let me know, I'll do it right away.
    Having anything wrong with you physically is likely to knock your confidence. If it is something you don't normally have that makes it worse and facial issues are extremely traumatic as the face is the first thing we see in someone. I would imagine that when you have recovered from the infection you will feel a whole lot better. Should this have taken 6 months? Are you getting the right treatment? Shouldn't antibiotics or whatever you are taking have cleared this up by now? Maybe you should go back to the doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Having anything wrong with you physically is likely to knock your confidence. If it is something you don't normally have that makes it worse and facial issues are extremely traumatic as the face is the first thing we see in someone. I would imagine that when you have recovered from the infection you will feel a whole lot better. Should this have taken 6 months? Are you getting the right treatment? Shouldn't antibiotics or whatever you are taking have cleared this up by now? Maybe you should go back to the doctor?
    Hi,

Yeah, it sure is this eye infection that is making my confidence going down, and so is my ability to speak normally, look people in the face, etc... It kinda makes total sense, right? And I can feel the frustrations bringing me down...

As for the eye infection goes, I went to 3 different doctors, with 3 different approaches and medication. This is not constantly going, it comes and goes with no reason, apparently. Find out last week that there is a disease (which name in English I don't know, I'm portuguese) that fits completely with the symptoms I'm having. I'm on medication for that now, hope it will sort this out. I'm a week away from a big, big work, with a very large team and responsibility, so lets hope the medication work this time... fingers crossed.

Thanks for the words.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information