Thread: High blood pressure

High blood pressure

My b/p is usually normal although before now I have never taken it when I was anxious, I have a home machine. About 6 months ago although I was relaxed at the time, the pressure was quite a bit higher than normal, I have taken it a few times since and sometimes it is high. Then the other day I took it and omg it went so high and my heart was racing, I thought I was gonna die there and then of a stroke or heart attack! I just tried to take it but my anxiety went sky high and heart rate so pointless doing it but I wonder why just in 6 month what has happened to make it go a lot higher when it was normal........something else to worry about!

Anyone else have a high blood pressure? And what to do?

Els

Re: High blood pressure

How high is it Els?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Not telling coz you might tell me summit and scare me lol. Have taken in again and was high but kept doing it relaxing breathing slowly etc etc until it came down to 124/78.

Your blood pressure will rise if you're anxious because the heart is beating faster to get oxygen and energy to the muscles. There would have to be something wrong with you if your blood pressure didn't rise even slightly during anxiety. But I believe that your excessive use of the machine is making your anxiety worse.

My question is why do you need to measure your blood pressure? Are you on medication for it? Do you have a health condition that can be exacerbated by changes in BP? If no then get rid of the machine.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

If it was dangerously high Els then you could not make it come down like that so I would say the anxiety about doing it is making it high.

124/78 is perfect

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

What Nicola said is exactly right. If there was something actually wrong, it wouldn't have come down down 124/78 which is spot on. You were just anxious.

I am going to throw the machine away. A few years ago I was in the docs surgery and they have a blood pressure machine in the waiting room. I decided to try it out but was anxious and it came out high which frightened me as I had always had normal b/p. Anyway, it's been normal for a few years but just lately been a little higher than normal and then I started to panic about it. I have never been diagnosed with hig b/p.

So if it was a problem then it would stay high and not come down?

I am def throwing it out now.......................................going in the bin, dustman coming 2moro.

Thanks for replies, am having an anxious time of late for what reason I just don't know.

Love to all who help me through these difficult times.

Els
    xxx

Yes it would stay high and not come down

Don't throw it away just put it in a cupboard and forget about it - or recycle it for someone who does want one.

Hi bettyboop,

I am the same i put a thread on a few weeks ago after visiting my new doc for my standarfd med with the nurse.

I wasnt expecting it but wasnt surprised at the same time with stress and anxiety i was experiencing.

I still havent been back yet but to return to see the nurse, i wouldnt advise ignoring it as much as you want to. It made my anxiety worse as i had the feeling i was going to have a stroke or heart attacks from my anxiety, it didnt help when i got this as it made me feel that maybe there is something wrong with my heart.

I would wait a few days and maybe go to your gp to get their opinion incase you need some meds to help lower it. Chances are it will be your anxiety is increasing it.

Keep me updated.

Thanks

Blood pressure goes up and down depending on what we are doing and how we are feeling. Having gone to the docs over a very high blood sugar level test at the local pharmacy (which turned out to be fine) it was found that my blood pressure was very high. I'm on 5mg of Ramapril which has brought it down.

Thread Information