Thread: Need help with Valium and bereavement

Question Need help with Valium and bereavement

Hi there I'm new to this forum. I've suffered from anxiety for many years now, i think it all started when I suddenly lost my father 8 years ago when I was only 26. After his death I was given citalopram and bromazepam (a drug similar to Valium that's commonly used in Italy where I'm from). I was on citalopram for a year and taking occasionally bromazepam (like once or twice a week). I tried other antidepressants like fluoxetine for a bit but stopped when I thought I was better and never really looked after my mental health I know it's wrong. I moved to the U.K. 3 y ago with my husband and kid and have developed a dependency to weed which I think made me even more anxious. Recently i cut down dramatically on the week, like smoking once or twice a week as opposed to every night but I've been taking some bromazepam to sleep at night. I've been getting bromazepam from Italy when I go and visit but never really abused it except for the occasional 10/15 drops to help me sleep. I never mentioned this to my gp that I probably saw twice in three years with the same anxiety issue. At first I was given sertraline which I took for a few months but then I stopped. I went back for my anxiety 2 months ago and I was advised to contact the NHS time to talk support group which I never followed through. I booked an appointment with my gp a few weeks ago and I'm due to see him in a few days but in the meantime I suffered what was a terrible loss for me. 5 days ago I had to put my beloved dog to sleep as he suddenly got kidney failure, he was 12 years old and I loved him more than anything in this world (not counting my son and husband of course). This sudden loss left me completely distraught and for the past 6 days I've been finding comfort in taking my drops. My anxiety is up
    The roof mixed with terrible grief. I am desperate. I had 2 (small!) bottles of bromazepam left and went through half of one in 6 days. I even had my mom send me more from Italy (they give it very easily there) by post and now I'm panicked it might get stopped at customs. My experience with gp here is not very extensive however I have a feeling they don't like giving you benzodiazepines. I don't know what to say to my gp as I know he will probably just give me citalopram or something similar but i need something to relax me when the panic that I lost my furry baby suddenly hits me. I've even been buying otc Codeine with paracetamol and I take about 4 tablets a day (never more than the recommended dosage). My question is what can I say to my gp, being honest about my recent use of benzodiazepines? I'd be happy if they gave me something similar that would help me tackle the panic attacks I'm getting and help me sleep although I know that Valium or Xanax would work for me. Even with my night drops I wake up several times and can't sleep. What's your experience with gp giving you Valium or similar? I also had Xanax in the past and found it helped. I know I have a problem with addiction but right nor I really need to go through this loss and then I can take care of that. What would you do
    In my place? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any reply i really appreciate it

Re: Need help with Valium and bereavement

Quote Originally Posted by Jajalana View Post
    Hi there I'm new to this forum.
    Welcome to No More Panic and my condolenses on your recent loss.

I moved to the U.K. 3 y ago with my husband and kid and have developed a dependency to weed which I think made me even more anxious.
    Yes, cannabis can do that. Anxiety disorders (also depression) are thought to be symptoms of atrophy of the hippocampal regions of the brain caused by chronically high stress hormone levels killing hippocampal neurons and/or preventing the growth of new ones. Delta-9,tetrahydrocannabinol (d9-THC), the main active chemical in cannabis has been shown to cause similar hippocampal damage by fragmenting DNA in their cells (Ameri A, 1999). Antidepressants work by stimulating the growth of new hippocampal cells (neurogenesis). The therapeutic response is produced by the new cells and the strengthened interconnects forged, not the antidepressants directly.

To complicate things even further, there is now evidence that benzodiazepines block neurogenesis so taking them will stop, or slow neurogenesis if cannabis use ends (Wu X, 2009; Sun Y, 2013; Nochi R, 2013; Boldrini M, 2014). Therefore, stopping the cannabis probably won't help restore hippocampal function if you continue to take a benzodiazepine.

I even had my mom send me more from Italy (they give it very easily there) by post and now I'm panicked it might get stopped at customs.
    Benzodiazepines are controlled/scheduled substances and it is illegal to possess them without a valid prescription. Not sure what penalties may apply in Britain, but in some jurisdictions penalties are the same as for illicit drugs.

I don't know what to say to my gp as I know he will probably just give me citalopram or something similar but i need something to relax me when the panic that I lost my furry baby suddenly hits me.
    You need to be completely honest, not only about the benzodiazepine use, but also the cannabis and codeine, as this may affect treatment selection.

I'd be happy if they gave me something similar that would help me tackle the panic attacks I'm getting and help me sleep although I know that Valium or Xanax would work for me.
    You might be able to get Valium, although I hope you don't, but I understand Xanax is not often prescribed by British GPs.

I know I have a problem with addiction but right nor I really need to go through this loss and then I can take care of that.
    No, you need to deal with this now as it is almost certainly playing a part in your distress. From what you've written it seems you've been putting this off for quite a while, not following up on the therapy offered, quitting the medication prescribed, etc. It is time to stop running from your problems and to get serious about helping yourself! Make an appointment with your GP asap.

Re: Need help with Valium and bereavement

Hi and welcome to NMP

I'm really sorry to hear about you losing your dog. You are bound to be all over the place due to this, it's such a great loss. Time will help but remember you did your best by him/her and he/she would have loved you all the way to the end for everything you did.

Benzo's are classed as a controlled substance in the UK. Therefore trying to import them is considered as "trafficking". This means they are seized by Customs. They then decide whether to take action.

People try to purchase Benzo's over the internet, which can be legal to send out from such countries, and Customs just seize them. Customs will be prioritising certain areas of the world sending packages and with this being Italy, maybe they won't be? I would expect they would from such as India given the lax drug regulation causing people to buy from them to import here.

I have seen the odd person try to import Diazepam and they were sent a letter by Customs asking they provide evidence as to why the med should be realised. Given these were dispensed legally, being able to prove they have been dispensed to you would mean they would probably release them (only in my opinion) because they would have let you walk through with them on you providing it's a personal usage volume. If they were dispensed to your mother, not you, that wouldn't make them legal as I would expect (hope) that Italy shares the same laws about drug prescribing as we have which makes passing on a prescription illegal. And bare in mind giving someone else a controlled substance in the UK would be a supply offence, so something for your mother to bare in mind there if Italy is the same.

Benzo's in the UK are well controlled by doctors. They will usually offer a 2 week supply for people struggling, often they do when commencing an antidepressant. Longer than 28 days is something they shouldn't be doing as that's the realm of a psychiatrist in long term Benzo treatment.

You can't get Xanax in the UK under the NHS. Private doctors can prescribe it though.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 16-02-17 at 09:05.

Thread Information