Thread: some help for insomnia

some help for insomnia

Two things I have done recently, in the last two days, that seem to be working.

1- I bought this from amazon the 'Avantek sleep white noise machine'. It's £30 and you need a cheap adaptor to work it, but I've found it really helps. (it's on the bedside cabinet). Has different settings from white noise, birdsong, waterfalls etc to the one i use which is waves and seaside sounds (ironic seeing how I'm not far from the sea). You can set it to fade out and switch off anytime from 1 hour to 7 hours. (no headphone slot though)

2- A pair of blackout curtains (red). My bedroon window faces the sunrise and so is lit up early in the spring/summer months. This has really helped too.
    Just thought I'd share what's helped me.

Re: some help for insomnia

Quote Originally Posted by jamiebythesea View Post
    Two things I have done recently, in the last two days, that seem to be working.

1- I bought this from amazon the 'Avantek sleep white noise machine'. It's £30 and you need a cheap adaptor to work it, but I've found it really helps. (it's on the bedside cabinet). Has different settings from white noise, birdsong, waterfalls etc to the one i use which is waves and seaside sounds (ironic seeing how I'm not far from the sea). You can set it to fade out and switch off anytime from 1 hour to 7 hours. (no headphone slot though).
    Hi,

Does this sound machine help to keep you stay asleep? i have a problem with waking up several times during the night and sometimes having trouble getting back to sleep.

You can also try wearing a sleeping mask, that helps me too and aslo mindfulness Meditation has helped me.

Does this sound machine help to keep you stay asleep? i have a problem with waking up several times during the night and sometimes having trouble getting back to sleep.
    Does for me on most nights, If I'm having a bad day I leave it on for the full 7 hours in case I wake in the night. My problem isn't getting to sleep, it's waking in the night. So far this has helped. It's very soothing on a lower sound setting. Might be a placebo effect but does seem to work.

4. Re: some help for insomnia

could i add a few tips? white noise doesnt work for me it keeps me awake as my brain focuses on it.

my tips are;
    #avoiding the use of a computer a couple of hours before bed.
    #avoid very stimulating tv if you have to watch it,for example dont watch horror/thriller/action films before bed.
    #avoid caffeine and very high sugary drinks/food after 6pm.
    #make sure your bedroom is not over stimulating,white or pale green walls are known to be the best colours for sleep.
    #use ear plugs if the slightest sound brings you out of a sleep,i find foam ear plugs the easiest to cope with but to be fair ive used them since i was a child.
    #try melatonin,if your in america as its easy to get there although its especially best for children and adults on the autism spectrum as we are known to lack melatonin.
    #use a weighted blanket over you while you sleep,this helps me but at the same time i am autistic and have acute sensory needs,im not sure how helpful a weighted blanket would be to a neurotypical/non autistic person but id imagine itd make you feel safer and secure and dampen your anxieties. you can make your own weighted blanket using the templates from online if you do a google search.
    #just before bed,try some mindfulness meditation, ground yourself to remove yourself from the anxiety.
    #i find a few puffs on my 200mg CBD vape helps incredibly to.

I often listen to a guided meditation. I have several which help me to relax.

If i still cannot sleep i listen to audio books. At least if I'm not sleeping I can focus on the story rather than having my mind worrying and anxious which will keep me awake.

I often get woken up due to menopause. As I don't want to disturb my husband I go to the bathroom and sit there till I'm over it. I don't put any lights on and try not to wake myself up further.

I've took KO pills for a long time now, I literally tried every single thing imaginable and nothing worked. I was downing wine with about ten of those charmingly aromatic herbal capsules at a time and getting no effect lol, docs eventually took me serious and saw that my insomnia was lifelong and chronic and affects my ability to function along with my mental woes. I was seeking a resolution via prescriptions beyond the odd benzo script every few months. I've always been notoriously difficult to sedate, only thing that's given me relief is proper psyche meds that zonk you out after dosing, manage to get rest at least half the week, I'd probably have became a zombie if I had to continue like I'd been doing.
    ''...an utter depression of soul which I can compare to no earthly sensation more properly than to the after-dream of the reveller upon opium - the bitter lapse into everyday life, the hideous dropping off of the veil. There was an iciness, a sinking, a sickening of the heart, an unredeemed dreariness of thought which no goading of the imagination could torture into aught of the sublime.''

Thank you for sharing these tips, I might try some of them. Black curtains are only one thing I want to try.

Hi... Thanks for this information. I would like to add some more tips regarding maintaining your bedroom. Just remove all technologies like Television and computer from the bedroom, read a book instead of a tablet and keep smartphones away.

I have nightmares falling asleep , I have black out blinds but its not helping

Thread Information