Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual worrying dizziness and other symptoms

Unusual worrying dizziness and other symptoms

This is gonna be a long post as I want to get as much story in as possible! So I haven't logged into this site for a LONG time. I started watching The Anxiety Guy on YouTube and found his videos to be extremely helpful. I started CBT recently too and a few weeks ago I was going out places on my own like doctors waiting rooms etc WITHOUT my safety behaviours like taking my water bottle out everywhere and eating before I went out anywhere. I was doing so well......but the last six days have been a living hell.

It started on Wednesday when I went to the Job Centre on my own. On the way there I had unusually high levels of anxiety and when I sat down in the waiting room I began to have a panic attack. Dizziness, fast heart rate and extreme nausea (I'm emetephobic) and the usual crazy fast thoughts of "I'm in danger" and "I need to leave". Luckily I was seen pretty quickly but the rest of the day was spent feeling a bit sick and I had an ocular migraine but no follow up headache.

Then I woke up on Thursday feeling EXTREMELY sick, weak and with a headache. I was due to go to the sexual health clinic. I was going to back out as I felt far too panicky to go but my friend persuaded me to let her drive me there so I agreed. On the way there I felt so nauseas I started dry heaving into a plastic bag which terrified me as I thought I was going to vomit and pass out (two of my biggest fears) When we arrived I was a mess so she went in to see how busy it was whilst I waited in the car. Turns out the place was having computer problems and the wait would be two hours so we decided to come back home. The rest of the day I felt this weird off balance feeling, like I was going to pass out, felt very tired and later had a horrible headache.

Friday I woke up feeling similar, This unusual but scary unsteadiness in my head, weakness and tiredness with a bit of nausea. I had a doctors appointment to check out my meat and two veg XD as I had a spot down there that I had since last Saturday (turned out to be fine and was nothing sinister and has pretty much healed) But I had been religiously fearing the worst all week. So, in the waiting room I have a panic attack and have to get the receptionist to put me in a separate room but was seen pretty quickly after that. Felt the same symptoms for the rest of the day, the weird head unsteadiness and body weakness. That's when the relentless googling started as I was convinced I had sepsis and was going to die.

Saturday I stayed round my Girlfriends house and the symptoms were nowhere near as bad, the occasional hiccup but she's very supportive and we have the best cuddles so it wasn't too bad. Sunday morning however the symptoms returned with a vengeance and when I got back home the sepsis googling continued.

I'll fast forward to today, I've woken up feeling weak and with that terrifying unsteadiness that I have even now. It's hard to describe, It's like I'm dizzy but nothing feels like its spinning I just get this sensation that I'm really lightheaded and my eyes aren't looking at things properly, It's terrifying me now. I'm still getting nausea and my appetite has been awful for days and I've been getting visual disturbances with awful headaches that last for a few hours. I went to the doctors yesterday and he has booked me for a blood test, I sent off a urine sample and I'm to do a stool sample. He also said that my blood pressure was a tiny bit low.

I'm just terrified and sad as I was doing so well but now I feel like this and I'm confused. I can't stop thinking that this isn't my anxiety at all but that I am in grave danger and something Is badly wrong, Honestly guys I've had severe anxiety for two and a half years now and I have NEVER felt this bad for this amount of time. This lightheadedness just wont go away If anything it's worse today and the fact that these symptoms aren't going away when I distract myself worries me as they normally do. I have a blood test AND my first dental filling on Friday that I am absolutely frightened to death about as I hate needles and procedures for one and I'm terrified about having the worst panic attack mid filling as I won't be able to just get up and leave, what if I faint?!

Thank you so much if you read all of this It means a lot, what do you guys think about this? Anxiety or not?

Re: Unusual worrying dizziness and other symptoms

I think it might be best to wait for your blood test results. Have you spoken to your GP about those feelings and sensations in your head? From what I know, there could be a number of (non-serious) reasons as to why you're experiencing the dizziness: low blood pressure, tiredness, inner ear problems or simply anxiety. I suffer from depersonalisation and derealisation a lot, and so quite often I feel like I'm observing the world through a looking glass, which gives me the impression of not being able to focus my eyes on the world around me properly.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are now fixated on it, and your mind is trying to make sense of what's going on and is on red alert. There are undoubtedly feelings of anxiety and panic mixed in with the physical symptoms.

Anxiety will go up and down; you'll have highs and lows - periods of feeling up to 90% anxiety free, and there'll be times your anxiety will be so bad it will cripple you. This needn't concern you so long as you're moving forward and are able to function, i.e. the bad times don't last over a prolonged period of time. Just because you are going through a rough patch at the moment doesn't mean that you'll get progressively worse. No one says that you can't start feeling better as soon as next week!

Yes I mentioned it to my doctor and he didn't really have much to say about it honestly which frustrated me a bit but to be fair to him, I did bombard him with a few issues at once.

I agree that there are a number of possible non serious reasons behind the dizziness and other symptoms. About 90% of me knows it's anxiety related. It makes sense as I've been constantly fearing the worst about possible life threatening illnesses all week and I have the blood test AND dental filling on Friday and I have been stressing about the dental filling since it was booked in a few weeks ago. So 90% of me knows it's no surprise my symptoms have gone crazy recently BUT, the other 10% of me is doing the all too familiar "what if this? What if that? What if this isn't anxiety this time and I'm in danger?' and that is enough to make completely negate the rational 90% of me.

If it is anxiety I'm probably stuck in that destructive cycle of fearing my symptoms which creates more anxiety then around and around it goes. The thing that annoys me though is that I know a TON about anxiety disorders, the thought patterns, cycles, what helps and what makes it worse etc but this knowledge never seems to help me.

Yes 100% thank you, I think I need to be remind that it's ok to have rough patches now and again. In fact, my CBT therapist actually warned me that I'd likely see an increase in the severity of my anxiety symptoms because I've begun to challenge myself in many different ways.....I just didn't think they'd increase this severely!

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post

No need to say thanks. ☺ I'm glad you found my reply helpful. I completely understand how you feel,I honestly do. For a large portion of the years spent having anxiety,I'd obsess over every severe illness possible. Knowing about anxiety,sadly doesn't mean you can rationalise it in practice.
    Dental work is always u pleasant. I think a lot of people fear it and find it unpleasant. I'm sure you'll notice a change in how you feel once the dental procedure is out of the way vs how you feel right now.
    It's good to hear that your doctor isn't worried about your health and you might want to try telling yourself to trust them and their opinion as they would have told you to get more tests done if they thought that was necessary ☺

Quote Originally Posted by NorseWolf94 View Post
    Yes I mentioned it to my doctor and he didn't really have much to say about it honestly which frustrated me a bit but to be fair to him, I did bombard him with a few issues at once.

I agree that there are a number of possible non serious reasons behind the dizziness and other symptoms. About 90% of me knows it's anxiety related. It makes sense as I've been constantly fearing the worst about possible life threatening illnesses all week and I have the blood test AND dental filling on Friday and I have been stressing about the dental filling since it was booked in a few weeks ago. So 90% of me knows it's no surprise my symptoms have gone crazy recently BUT, the other 10% of me is doing the all too familiar "what if this? What if that? What if this isn't anxiety this time and I'm in danger?' and that is enough to make completely negate the rational 90% of me.

If it is anxiety I'm probably stuck in that destructive cycle of fearing my symptoms which creates more anxiety then around and around it goes. The thing that annoys me though is that I know a TON about anxiety disorders, the thought patterns, cycles, what helps and what makes it worse etc but this knowledge never seems to help me.

Yes 100% thank you, I think I need to be remind that it's ok to have rough patches now and again. In fact, my CBT therapist actually warned me that I'd likely see an increase in the severity of my anxiety symptoms because I've begun to challenge myself in many different ways.....I just didn't think they'd increase this severely!

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post
    how are you feeling now? any better?

I'm having a lot of the same issues, and im slowly feeling better but have days where it hits me pretty hard. scares me back into bad thoughts

I've had the dizziness for a VERY long time. Doctors literally have no idea what causes it in my case; I've had every test in the book.

My dizziness feels like an internal sway and a bobbing up and down when I walk. I also get visual stuff and tremendous head tension; feels like my head is in a vice. In my case it's worse in crowded environments.

This could be a result of an oversensitive brain.

I also get overstimulated easily and am very easily overwhelmed by external stimuli. Noises make me jump, I prefer moderate light, nothing too bright and/or strong, etc...

Hey guys, haven't been on for a while and saw all these replies! Just thought I'd let you know that everything turned out to be fine. Tests came back completely clear. The symptoms went away eventually but were replaced with a different set. 100% due to anxiety. I seem to go through good patches and then really bad ones like today....Just holding on to the good times and trying my best to accept the bad times!

I'm so pleased to hear your good news!

I know how frustrating anxiety can be, especially when your symptoms keep morphing. I'm going through a rough patch at the moment, too, so we're in the same boat!

Very frustrating! It's like our brains know we're starting to get used to it so it switches it up to keep us on our toes....sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch as well. Stay Positive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information