Thread: Health worries

Health worries

Hi all... I am new to this. I have suffered from health anxiety for several years .. actually I started as a child. I saw a councillor for a while when following the birth of my eldest child, my anxiety got out of control. It did seem to help and I have been fairly sorted for about 3 years. We have just had a really stressful house move, and have relocated to another city and my old anxieties seem to have returned. In 7 weeks I have thought I have had a brain tumour, thyroid problems, Gynae problems, a heart condition and now another worry has sprung up following discovering a painful lump in my groin. The doc checked it out and is pretty convinced it is nothing sinister, but as you probably know, the worst thing for a person with health anxiety is actually have a doctor show concern and say 'but just to be on the safe side...'... he has sent off blood tests and wants me to go back for an internal examination to rule out a hernia... but even that freaks me out.. I have images of having to have an operation and die under the general anaesthetic. I am worrying that I have cysts or growths on my uterus .... you name it!!! You probably all know the drill! I am off my food, constantly on the loo, wake up early and can't get back to sleep... I am just obsessing big style. After having the counsilling before, I understand why I have these anxieties, and I know it is a result of the stress I have been under ... loss of control etc, but when you have something concrete to obsess over (i.e a lump or pain) it is hard to see beyond that. Would appreciate any advice!

Re: Health worries

Hi Sam,

We are our own worst enemies. Like you I have the full range of potential illnesses and have spent years on and off trying to convince myself it is just anxiety. Of course knowing you have something wrong is a real cause for concern but for me is always far less stressful than the long list my brain conjures up. I'm sure your doctor is right and you have something simple like a hernia probably from all the work involved in moving. Lots of hernia ops are now done under local anaesthetic so please try not to worry.

Thread Information