Thread: Quitting Smoking ... GERD?

Quitting Smoking ... GERD?

Hello All. I am new to this forum however an avid stalker! I am hoping to find some people that have managed to add some tools to their anxeity tool box and knock this on the head once and for all or at least manage it enough to live a semi normal life!

3 Months ago i quit smoking, I have sufferd with GAD for 20 years with panic attacks and smoked heavily for the 20 years, so I decided to quit and also quit caffine at the same time all this while I was suffering with Labyrinthitus and a chest infection so though i feel crap so i wont smoke and used this time to quit..

However.... since I quit smoking and recovered from my infection I have had a tight chest, endless panic attacks and feeling crap. I have gone to 2 doctors who have done a chest xray and said all is normal and they suspect GERD as a result of my digestion changing since quitting smoking. It is horrible with the chest tightness as I have stopped walking any distance or at all in some case and subsequently become housebound as I am petrified of walking and getting out of breath. I am so scared of hyperventilating or stopping breathing, feel like I have a sumo sat on my chest every waking hour and dont get any respite from it. Sad as I was a very active person prior to quitting smoking.

Has anyone ever experienced this and how do you stop focusing on it as I know I am fuelling my anxiety which in turn is making it all worst.

Any help gratefully received.

Re: Quitting Smoking ... GERD?

GERD is acid reflux. I have had this for most of my life; never smoked though. But GERD is not dangerous, just very painful if not medicated. It can produce some nasty symptoms though.

Perhaps you are suffering from withdrawal symptoms from the smoking habit. But sych symptoms will not last forever. Wish the best of luck to you.

Re: Quitting Smoking ... GERD?

Welcome to the forum, PeanutsMum!

Congrats on quitting smoking! It's a big step and your body will thank you. Is it possible you're still having side effects from the chest infection? I imagine anything going on around that area may make you feel funny. I'm not a doctor, so it's good that you consulted with two of them already. GERD can most definitely cause these feelings, I suffer from it almost daily and it's really hard to get a good deep breath in. We are here for you!
    P.S. You’re not going to die. Here’s the white-hot truth: if you go bankrupt, you’ll still be okay. If you lose the gig, the lover, the house, you’ll still be okay. If you sing off-key, get beat by the competition, have your heart shattered, get fired…it’s not going to kill you. Ask anyone who’s been through it.” ~Danielle LaPorte

CardioPhobin' since 2011.

Thread Information