Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How I suppressed my HA

Re: How I suppressed my HA

you are definitely right - no amount of reassurance from other people will make me feel truly happy and the thing is I don't even believe them and I only believe what my brain tells me which are all awful stuff (im gonna die, i have cancer etc)

THE worst thing are all the "WHAT IFs", i am only 19 but I have diagnosed myself with at least 4 cancers, and I am still 80% sure that I will get one specific cancer when im older, the uncertainty is the worst part, what ifs what ifs what ifs....The thing is I never will know when will cancer happen to me, or will it ever happen? (My mind keeps telling me it will) I don't want to waste my youth like this as I am still so young and my future should be full of wonderful things but instead i kept imagining myself in my own funeral which is so so so scary. I don't know how to cope with this anymore, its ruining my mental and physical help and I feel so helpless at all times and i feel like i will die soon and i cant enjoy THIS moment.

People posting to the Health Anxiety forum mostly seem to be young adults presumably of normal health, but worried by the possibility of diseases like cancer.

While it's true that cancer can strike very young people, the odds of getting cancer are still extremely low while you are a young adult. Furthermore, five-year cancer survival rates (although they vary according to the cancer) are getting up around the 70% mark.

So what do people die from? According to a study recently published in Australia, the leading causes of death in order are 1. Coronary heart disease, 2. Dementia and Alzheimer disease, 3. Cerebrovascular disease, 4. Lung cancer, 5. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

If they sound like diseases mostly old folk (and smokers) get, you're right - the vast majority of people in western countries make it through to old age, especially if they don't smoke.

Google really IS the root of health anxiety ... imagine having symptoms and no internet ... you wouldn't worry until you saw a doctor and found out what it is ....I really blame the net for too much information which can be good in many ways but awful for people with health anxiety

---------- Post added at 08:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by derek7467 View Post
    Google is horrible. 10 years ago I felt lumps on each of my testicles - went and got an ultrasound and a blood test and both came back fine - lumps were cysts. fast forward 8 years, I keep feeling them and think, "what if the test missed something" - then I read, the blood test looks for hcG in your system and realized my wife had pregnancy tests at home...What did I do? Yep, went home and used one and the minute it showed "not pregnant", I was reassured. Reassurance doesn't work, its a temporary fix, until the next thing...
    Good to know you weren't pregnant 😂

thanks dear for this great advice. really appreciated!

This is a great post Mose - thank you for taking your time to do this for others - how thoughtful! Just makes me realize why I joined NMP.... meeting others like me doesn't make me feel so alone anymore.

This post just saved me thank you very much for posting you're story here ,
    ive been worried abt my health for a few months now and every little symptom gave me chills, im so glad that im not alone to go through this
    I'm 15 and i just want to suppress my HA for a sustainable future before it turns into something like depression.
    Thanks

Hi, your story sound very similar to mine, except that i just turned 50. I can relate to all the reassurance seeking that really only makes things worse. I thank you for your post

I have an issue where I do suppress health anxiety and a few years later it turns out I wasn’t imagining it. An example is my depth perception. When I heard someone say she needed glasses for depth perception problems I kind of suspected I had depth perception problems too. I didn’t have any proof of that, how can I know what normal depth perception is supposed to be? I could still watch 3D movies. I did have symptoms like being unable to catch a ball and sports phobia, but I thought that was due to just being neurotic or having a defective brain. So I just ignored my depth perception issues because I didn’t want to seem retarded or neurotic. I later found out I have poor vision in one eye which I think explains my depth perception. I think this happens with other stuff as well. I often convince myself I’m imagining problems when I’m not.

Thank you for the advise 🙂 constant battle between the rational side of my brain and the but what if side....

Congratulations on feeling better! I come from another forum called benzobuddies, please try to avoid ativan or anything like it; take it only for emergencies!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information