Thread: Dodgy Mole

Dodgy Mole

Sorry if this has been done to the death but it's driving me mad!

I have a mole on my upper arm, that I am 99.9% sure has always been flat. The last week my arm was tender in that area and so was the mole, I also noticed the mole has risen.

I made an urgent GP appointment which was 2 days ago. He looked through a magnifying glass and said it was nothing and sent me on my way.

2 days on, the mole still looks "angry" although my arm isn't as tender as before but there is some general achy type pain.

Im on the verge of paying out for a private check up as I am just not convinced this is nothing to worry about especially when Google shows stories of missed diagnosis in people my age (31) and people dying within 6 months!

Do innocent moles just change like that?

Re: Dodgy Mole

Moles can change over time especially if they are irritated

I've been using an exfoliating mitt recently, could that have irritated it? Even tho it was flat mole?

Quote Originally Posted by WorryWendy View Post
    I've been using an exfoliating mitt recently, could that have irritated it? Even tho it was flat mole?
    Absolutely it could have! I have a possible “traumatised mole” at present so I’ve done a lot of research! They’re actually really common and the melanoma clinic see them on almost a daily basis! It should heal in the same amount of time that normal skin would take to heal. Just be gentle with it and apply some gentle moisturiser or vitamin E cream if needed.

A couple of years ago I had a mole grow exponentially, quadrupling in size over the period of a month or so. Eventually it started bleeding and I started panicking....of course. My local GP told me it wasn't urgent and wanted me to wait 8 days for an appointment. I paid to have it looked at privately. Even though it was large and bleeding, the private GP told me it was benign. A week later it fell off.

If the doctor told you it's fine, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    A couple of years ago I had a mole grow exponentially, quadrupling in size over the period of a month or so. Eventually it started bleeding and I started panicking....of course. My local GP told me it wasn't urgent and wanted me to wait 8 days for an appointment. I paid to have it looked at privately. Even though it was large and bleeding, the private GP told me it was benign. A week later it fell off.

If the doctor told you it's fine, it's fine.
    Do you mind if I ask where and how much you paid for a private derm? This is something I’m thinking about doing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Do you mind if I ask where and how much you paid for a private derm? This is something I’m thinking about doing too!
    It was about £100 or so I recall.

I actually looked at going private, but there is no amount of money you can pay to have GP appointments included in a plan, so you end up having to go to the NHS GP and be referred to your private healthcare or pay for each appointment anyway.

One thing I would say is that when you pay for it, YOU choose when to see the Doctor, and I wasn't rushed out the door at all. Well worth it for peace of mind in that situation, but I wouldn't pay to go see a private GP for much else.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    It was about £100 or so I recall.

I actually looked at going private, but there is no amount of money you can pay to have GP appointments included in a plan, so you end up having to go to the NHS GP and be referred to your private healthcare or pay for each appointment anyway.

One thing I would say is that when you pay for it, YOU choose when to see the Doctor, and I wasn't rushed out the door at all. Well worth it for peace of mind in that situation, but I wouldn't pay to go see a private GP for much else.
    Thank you for telling me that ☺️

Hi All,

I had it looked at and the Dr isn't worried. The scab came off, didn't bleed and just scarred like a normal scratch

Thread Information