Thread: GERD, Health Anxiety, and Reassurance

GERD, Health Anxiety, and Reassurance

Hello everyone, second post here. I'm posting more for reassurance, as I'm starting to get stuck back in that "health anxiety loop".

Backround: I live in Japan now. The last 3 months i struggled with severe health anxiety (diagnoses in 2013 with GAD and panic). I had maybe 5 blood tests, 3 xrays, a and a cat scan. My worry ranged from ALS (twitching, weakness), to pinched nerves and thyroid cancer. I still have the twitching, but every single doctor said not to worry, and I rarely notice it if I don't think about it.

So this week, I'm starting to relaspe on the anxiety. It's been weeks that I've had a week voice and a sore tongue. My tongue isn't numb or tingling, more like sore muscle. I'm also stumbling over words and I feel like I have trouble saying some words, or kind of slurring. Doctors are pretty sure I have GERD now (probably thanks to anxiety) and my voice is coming back, less pain. But the stumbling over words/trouble speaking is not so much better.

Could this sort of slurring/tongue fatigue be the GERD? No numbness, no tingling, just soreness/scratchy feeling at the very back of the throat. And my throat just feels weak in general. No trouble swallowing or eating. Just this fatigue/weakness feeling in my throat.

Thanks all, just trying to relax. Its been 2 weeks without any anxiety and I wanna go back to it.

Re: GERD, Health Anxiety, and Reassurance

Hi Tbot just a question at the end of your post you say it's been 2 weeks with out ANY anxiety and you want to go back to it?? You cant be saying you want your anxiety to return surely may have read it wrong, but that's how I read it. My spologies if you didn't mean that BTW if your Dr has said its GERD is he arranging any meds/therapy for you? Good luck

Haha sorry for the poor wording. I meant to say, I've been recovering and feeling happy, and less worrisome. But this week that loop of "omg why am i feeling this still" is coming back. I wanna go back to the worry free life!

Yes, the doctor has me on new medication, and its helping in regards to my voice coming back and a little less pain. The more worrying symptom is this weakness feeling, but I guess it could just be that my throat muscles are exhausted? That's what I tell myself to relax. I have a follow up with the doc on 7/8, and no doctor thinks I'm dying.... So i have to be totally fine, right?

Hi Glad that's cleared up lol Well that's good, could be that's why you are weak Yes good to hear your voice is coming back so take it easy! Well if dr's have told you, you aren't dying believe them and you are fine Onwards and upwards from now on Yay Cheers

Thread Information