Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freaking out about the flu (another one of us)

freaking out about the flu (another one of us)

On Tuesday afternoon, I started to feel tired and had a scratchy throat which progressed to this aweful cold and sore/scratchy throat. I do feel achy, but mostly in my head. I stayed home from work yesterday and drank fluids all day long. I still have my appetite and no fever (thankfully). I'm really tired though(from not sleeping). I'm terrified that i have the flu that the media is really going on about. I'm on day 3 of this cold thing and went to work today. I should have stayed home, but at least it's friday and I can relax this weekend.

Years ago I would never of even thought twice about getting the flu. To me it just would have been another "bug" to get over-- just like the stomach flu, a cold, etc. Why am i so paranoid? Any tips on how to get rid of this blasted cold and sore throat? I'm nervous. I started a new medication that is giving me insomnia, so i am not getting proper rest. I was however, able to get out of bed just fine today.

Re: freaking out about the flu (another one of us)

You probably do not have the flu, if those are your symptoms.

I am on day 11 of the flu (I think, can't even count anymore) and I was about bedridden for 8 full days, fever for 6 of those, intense body aches everywhere, crippling headache, plus cough and wicked congestion. I am up and about now and able to do about full days at work, but I still am not 100%. i think if you had the flu, you would be in a worse way.

Did you get the flu shot? If not, then you would feel much worse if you actually had the flu. The main symptom of the flu is body aches. Fever is almost always present as is fatigue and a dry chest cough and yes a sore throats. . . The "cold" type symptoms in the nose are secondary. Meaning they are often there but the other symptoms are more prominent. And from my understanding you would not feel like going to work.

Now, if you did get a flu shot, then the flu can be much milder, so you might not get all the symptoms as badly.

Hope you feel better soon....

Thank you for replying! I am so glad to here that you are up and moving around. I don't have a cough but i do have a sore throat. Did you go to the doctor at all, or did you just wait it out?

Quote Originally Posted by cofo View Post
    Did you get the flu shot? If not, then you would feel much worse if you actually had the flu. The main symptom of the flu is body aches. Fever is almost always present as is fatigue and a dry chest cough and yes a sore throats. . . The "cold" type symptoms in the nose are secondary. Meaning they are often there but the other symptoms are more prominent. And from my understanding you would not feel like going to work.

Now, if you did get a flu shot, then the flu can be much milder, so you might not get all the symptoms as badly.

Hope you feel better soon....
    I got the flu shot.

Hi Cofo,
    Thanks for responding. Yes, i got the flu shot

I get the shot always. I didn't get the flu but since Christmas, I've been inundated with other "crud". Got a raging case of gout in my wrist, then a common cold type "crud" and Wednesday night I got hit with the norovirus! OMG! I was totally out of it from Wednesday night until this morning. I haven't felt so sick since cancer treatment! I literally could barely get out of bed but I had to to ummm... yeah. And I used common sense too! Disinfectant hand cleaner, avoided sick people etc. Just wasn't my lucky time I guess.

Thankfully, I think I'm on the tail end. It doesn't matter what it is, being sick sucks!

Positive and less crampy nauseous thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I'm terrified of the flu too. I don't know that I've ever had it, but I have had bad colds that have turned into something worse, like bronchitis, so I'm afraid that if I do get it, it will progress. And yes, I too got the flu shot.

I feel fine, but I do get scared and then I might start to feel run down or crummy, though I know it's all psychological.

It's a really hard fear for me, because in the past I actually preferred illnesses like this - ones where I had clear, easily defined symptoms that my doctor could see and treat. But geez, it's been a rough flu season I guess, and it doesn't help that stories of otherwise healthy people dying are so sensationalized.

So for now, I'm using a lot of germ x and will just try to hold on until spring. If I do get sick, I definitely won't put off going to the doctor.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethansmom View Post
    Thank you for replying! I am so glad to here that you are up and moving around. I don't have a cough but i do have a sore throat. Did you go to the doctor at all, or did you just wait it out?
    i waited it out. I would only have gone if I was having trouble breathing, chest pain, turning blue, things like that. Luckily, nothing like that happened.

Wow, fishmanpa-- you certainly have gotten hit hard this season. I'm glad you are feeling better! I'm going to wait this out and see how i do this weekend. Obviously, i'll go if i feel worse. Something tells me that my anxiety is playing up my symptoms, although i do fee like utter crap. I hope everyone here stays well this season; and for those who are sick- get better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information