Thread: 1st counselling/cbt/assessment appt today

1st counselling/cbt/assessment appt today

i have my first appointment today with mental health nurse to talk about my anxiety etc. i guess she will recommend cbt or something.

its an absolute joke - i just want to find out whats wrong with my neck!!!

I think i might say to her, look love, i know u mean well but i need to see an oncologist, not a psychiatrist !

seriously though, i will try keep an open mind as everyone keeps telling me!

and no, i havent booked the chiropractor yet.

Re: 1st counselling/cbt/assessment appt today

Is it through IAPT service? In my experience all they have to offer is 6 weeks of basic CBT or if you have a severe problem 12 weeks of 'intensive' therapy. In my area CBT is seen as the panacea and they don't even offer any counselling, they just give you some telephone numbers for local charities that might be able to offer it.

For CBT to be useful I think you would have to accept that your problems are mainly anxiety based and not physical though.

I hope your first appointment goes well - they will ask you a ton of questions and explain what CBT is all about anyway.

I had a similar experience, got a referral from my GP, waited ages, got a letter, waited ages again and in the end thought I needed to take control and do something myself. So I contacted loads of CBT therapists to find one that I thought I could work with.

I have to say, that although I am far from feeling better, she is the first person who has explained back to me how I feel, better than even I can articulate it. She explained how CBT could work, what I should expect, what I would have to do etc. We are also looking at mindfulness CBT.

Dont get me wrong, I am very fortunate that I can afford to do this and it isnt cheap (£60 per session), but it means I can do it for as long or as short as I like, I am in control etc. However I have to say that in spite of the fact that my symptoms feel very physically true that I am completely accepting that this is 90% of how I am reacting to them at least.

I am also totally determined not to waste too much more of my life worrying about unlikely (not impossible events).

I've been discharged. She does not feel I need mental health services. she is writing to my GP to tell them continue investigations of my symptoms. that will throw the cat amongst the pigeons!!!!

Darren, from what I've read of your posts you sound like a bright guy and I'm confident you will get yourself out of the HA vicious cycle.

Mike
    Author, How to Beat Health Anxiety - "Absolutely the best book I have ever read on health anxiety. It was obvious that the author struggled with this in his own life and has overcome it. That's what gives hope to others who are going through this. Read this book if you are suffering! It will help you!" - Amazon Reviewer

I agreed with her that i suffered a severe and distressing HA phase for the last few months because of not knowing what is wrong with my neck.

I am now able to live a 'normal' life, returned to work etc. But fundamentally the doctors need to manage the situation and investigate my neck pain.

The psychiatric nurse is writing to the practice to tell them they should refer me to a pain management consultant and continue with my current medication for HA/Depression because it has helped me a great deal.

She told me I was not mad, it sounds like i have been slightly sent in the wrong direction by the GPs perhaps. She said she is probably more mad then me and that i sounded very rational.

i explained that 4 weeks ago she would not have agreed but the medications have kicked in and i've settled. She said that understandbly i was distressed because I haven't found out whats wrong with me yet.

At the end of the consultation i was so happy i gave her a hug! SOMEBODY believes me. There ain't no way the GP can blame this pain on anxiety.

Thread Information