Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New- Fellow Agoraphobia & Panic Disorder Sufferer!

New- Fellow Agoraphobia & Panic Disorder Sufferer!

[b]Hi there,

I'm Jane, i'm new to this forum an would like to introduce myself..So hello!!! [8D]

I also have some concerns about the medication that i am on, and also whether i am ever going to not feel anxiety when i go outside.

A little Background info on me, sorry if this is abit long, i've cut it down alot:

Since the age of 16 i have been avoiding anywhere where i might feel anxiety. I remember looking back that round about this time, i was walking through the town centre and experienced what i would call an extreme level of anxiety ( aka panic attack).

I felt my hand begin sweating and i felt my whole body get hot then cold chills, my breathing was difficult and my chest tightened and my osophagus seemed to get smaller & small, i felt dizzy and my vision blurred. I also felt as though everyone was looking at me and that i was about to trip over or fall to the floor at any given moment.

I looked for the nearest exit and speed walked as fast as i could to the nearest exit. I think back about the surroundings before hand, i felt like i was rushing to get though the town centre as i didn't like people looking at me. I felt paranoid about the way i walked.

I think this may have had something to do with my sister making fun of me when i was younger. I believe this was the first panic attack i had that i can remember, but before this, i was avoiding the town because i didn't want to be looked at. It makes me feel uncomfortable.

I am now 21 and things haven't improved since that day, there have been times when things have not been stressful and i've been doing something enjoyable in my life, where these episodes of panic and agoraphobia don't apply to my life, like when i was working with horses for a month in bedfordshire. It was wonderful for me.

When i was growing up, i witnessed the insides of mental institutions on several occasions, even as a tiny child, as from the age of three my mum was locked up and i was only able to see her at weekends with my dad. I think the trauma of being round a mother who suffers with manic depression was quite disturbing to me looking back. My dad was also an alcoholic, and my sis, bro's and i were neglected, though not abused during childhood.

After leaving school at 16. I did not have a happy time at school, i was bullied and looked ugly, due to my boyish haircut. I was also pushed around. I started working in a sales job part time and studying. College was nice, but i met a friend who would meet me in mornings and walk with me to college which made me feel better, i hated travelling on buses and going outside down the street on my own.

I excelled at sales, and began making good commision, little did i know thae way it was effecting me, degrading me as a person. My view used to be that sales was a buzz, now it's a soul destoying job that i wouldn't recommend to anyone, not even for the 20k salary + bonus that i was recently on.

After my panic attack in the town centre i started to avoid the town all together. I worked in town, and would get taxi's to work and back everyday. So now i had taxi's as a crutch to save me from my panic, and my friend ( who is now my bf ) to support me in my trip to college, and on the way home he would meet me also.

My first job was the only job i have not had a panic attack in, almost every other job, i have, which makes me hate getting jobs, and i have setup my own business, however i really need some money from a job behind me to support myself. My company is an outsourced sales company. i think this is good for me to focus on, although the stress of sales is something that i want to get away from despite my hitting targets and high conversion rates. I have setup my own business Ami Soluions, but I hate the fact that i can't have the confidence to ask business owners for the money though, i keep giving my marketing away for free :( This is not a business. It's more like a hobby at the moment. When it makes money i will call it a busi

hi jane
    im michelle im 32 and have been having pa and gad for 10 years, like you i hate walking through town i carnt queue or go on the bus without having panic attacks[?]
    i am getting better ive read loads of posts here and took some sound advice from fellow sufferers.
    welcome to the site and hope to speak to you soon in chat
    michelle xxx

No rules broken at all. We don't go in for many rules at all..

Yes you have agoraphobia that has developed over many years.

Yes you can get over it, you will need to work hard at it. Recovery doesn't come in a pill, relief may do so but recovery doesn't.

Join No panic - pay your £10 and sign up for their telephone recovery course.

Your panics start and finish in your head from your thoughts patterns surrounding circumstances but manifest themselves with body symptoms .

Read as many posts as you can plus the home pages..

Here are few to start you off

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm
    : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety
    Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    Mind Games
    obsessive thoughts & anxiety
    Still suffering this damn "suggestive" thing..

The Battle that Rages in my Head

Strategies for coping
    Some of my symptoms and explinations.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Thanks Michelle & Meg for your quick replies. I have read almost everything i can on anxiety and panic, i'm almost a guru lol. However if there are any new techniques or alternative things that you know of please let me know, i'm willing to try anything to conquer this disorder. Well done on taking a pro-active aproach to feeling better Michelle,

Take Care Michelle, Meg & Thankyou for the warm welcome x

Hi Ambience

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hi Jane,

Welcome to the forum.

The support of people here, that really know what you are going through, is invaluable. You are doing all the right things to aid your recovery, well done!

Kate x

Hi Jane (amb)

It was really nice meeting you and sglod in chat last night - think all of us in there last night shared lots of similiar feelings.

Reading your post I'm sure we can identify with much of your agoraphobic feelings and other stuff.

My advice such as it is, is to take it baby steps at a time and deal with things in managable chunks - like Meg says there is no time limit on this (told you she was good didnt I) I'm also considering the no panic course she suggested - I can get out as long as I'm with people (still feeling anxious much of the time) but dearly want to get out and about on my own.

I'm sure we'll see each other in chat again soon, meanwhile at least now you know you really arnt on your own!

Love Piglet[8D]

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Hi Jane,

Just seen your post - gave us all a very good insight into your issues. Meg is certainly right about the recovery and taking the CBT course via No Panic - hey, could I ever disagree with her lol.

Your background has certainly prompted the panic within you, but the CBT will train you to think somewhat differently to aid you in your recovery.

Getting over agoraphobia can be painful but the longer you resist making that step outside your door, the harder it will become.

Certainly you need to take very small steps, such as standing on the front door step, going to the bottom of the front path, and then to the first lamp post. You might have to repeat each of the stages for a few days before going up a notch. By this exposure, you will eventually realise that you can indeed survive the outside (initially with a reaction) and your fears will diminish over time.

I've only had a limited amount of agoraphobia, and I'm sure you'll learn from others here that have experienced it to a greater extent.

You seem a very positive person, and I'm sure that will help you loads, but we all have to be patient.

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Hi Jane

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and I hope we can be of some help to you.

It helps to understand why we get all the aches and pains we do when we panic so the Symptoms page on the website and also the Health Anxiety page are good places to start reading.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Jane and welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information