Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline - stomach problems help!

Re: Sertraline - stomach problems help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I had awful stomach problems on these, but after about four weeks the side effects began to go and everything got so much better. They really worked for me in the end.
    Hi Tyke

Thanks for your post that is encouraging guess I'll just hang on in there for now then. Can I ask what does you are on?

Hello!!

I've been taking 50mg sertraline for about a month now.

I have found that it is helping with my depression -- but my anxiety is going strong I still get really anxious about everything, and last week, I kept having weird times where I kept thinking I had knocked cyclists over when I was driving or gone through red lights and stuff. They were some really panic-y days, I don't know what it was all about, but it was quite horrible. That seems to have settled down a bit now, though I feel a general uneasy sense of anxiety now, that I can't seem to shake off.

Hopefully this will ease in time though? I'm not sure yet it my GP will see about increasing my daily dose, as I'm still up and down with depression. Most days are ok recently, I think starting sertraline has been a great move for me, but when I get a blip, it seems to hit me like a ton of bricks

But, I have had a rather upset stomach in the whole month I've been taking sertraline. I do get ibs, and I'm sure the anxiety is a contributing factor. However, my stomach has been more grizzly than usual. Without meaning to be crude, I've had some issues with constipation and some issues with gas and wind... The main thing has been acid indigestion, especially at night; its been really frustrating.

I've been taking some mint teas to try and relive all the stomach problems. My mum also got me some charcoal capsules, which I think are useful. I've also downloaded some chill out music to listen to when I'm really anxious, its really helpful

Hi Budgie
    I guess these meds affect everybody differently and they do seem to take quite a while to be fully effective according to people on here. I never really had stomach probs before taking Sertraline so it must be that causing it, trouble is that it adds to your anxiety doesn't it? I drink herbal tea too and it does help and I will have a chat with my doc about it. Hope you're having a good weekend and not too anxious

Hi All
    I was prescribed Sertraline after cit not helping my anxiety or pannoc much. I must say I feel worse. I have been off work for 3 weeks as I have hightened anxiety and cry most of the time. After a week my GP reduced the starting dose down to 25mg I had up set tummy etc... The dreams are prob the worst I find to manage..... The side effects did ease a little enough for me to lead a normal life for afew days. I have now been on 50mg for a week back to square one again pannic all the time not eating well crying and sleep is disturbed with terrible dreams. I am at docs today and hope he can give me some reasurance this will work in the end...

Hi Joy
    I understand how you feel! My doc tells me that the meds can take up to a couple of months to kick in properly (oh goody) and I too have been on 50mg for just over a week during which I have had heightened anxiety but it does seem to be settling down a bit...gradually. If only there was a quick fix eh. Let me know how you get on at the docs

Hi,yes I am on sertraline & also suffer with stomach probs. Bloating & pain which really gets me down. I hope you are feeling better now.

Cheers

Was on sert last year. Started low and worked up to 50 mg. Had horrible upset stomach (mostly diarehha) on it but found if I took the pill with a full meal it made it better. Ended up losing about 5-8 lbs on sert due to the stomach issues, was maybe the only good side effect, ha ha. Anyways, it also made me get insomnia, which I usually get from most SSRI's.

A question for Tyke, I have just started Sertraline 10 days now & I get stomach pain,pain in the chest just below strnum,lower abdominal aches & dull pain,plenty of burping as well. Sorry to go on but is this what you went through? All answers will be greatfully received.

Cheers for now

Hi all,

I started my first pill yesterday, it was supposed to be 25mg, but I took 50mg instead because I was anxious, but it seemed to calm me pretty much straight away, or maybe that was placebo; either way, I didn't feel as bad as I had for the first time in the past couple of weeks. But I definitely experienced the stomach pain which I still have at the moment, so it is purely down to the pill and nothing else, I've heard it's very normal to experience stomach pain from it and it may be uncomfortable but obviously, it's best to stick with it because feeling sick is better than the other horrible feelings I've had with panic disorder.

Is anyone finding they feel better now they've been on them for a while?

PS. A hot water bottle helps to settle things.
    Last edited by Keffalump; 23-01-13 at 12:12. Reason: Ammendment

When I stay med compliant, sert works good for me. Been taking it on and off for years, silly bipolar thoughts tell me I don' t need itand then whammo the depression tries to knock me on my ass. And I go back on, I was looking for some ways to alieviate the nausea that goes away after two weeks for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information