Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sertraline - stomach problems help!

Re: Sertraline - stomach problems help!

Quote Originally Posted by PanicYeNot View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm new to this site, found it when 'Googling' side effects of Sertraline and was amazed at the number of people suffering with these tablets! It's good to know I'm not alone but alarming that something that's meant to help seems to give you more anxiety than you had in the first place! I would love to hear from anyone who is having a tough time with these tablets and see if we can help each other? Am on 3rd week at 100 mg and boy does it upset my stomach...is anybody else having this issue, it's all very well saying persevere but there's only so long you can tolerate this, especially when you have to work...any advice PLEASE??
    Hi there,

When you say tummy problems do you mean "the runs"? Oh dear, too much information! I had this terribly at first and found that it did settle down in time. My suggestion would be to eat something quite stodgy like white toast or a crumpet and then take your tablets. The first day I took mine on an empty stomach after about two hours they went straight through me. Taking them without eating really didn't agree with me at all and I don't do that now. Sorry to be so graphic. Hope this helps and good luck with the medication.

Hope you feel better soon.

J xxx

hi i been on sert six weeks went up to 75 mgs about two weeks ago and been on 100 mgs for just over a week i found first few days i got bad tummy craps and tirdness but side effects gone now . unfortunately m still very anxious as suffer from health anxiety but wish tablets would dampen them down a bit

just into my second week of using these. Had Citalopran but these conflict with a beta blocker I use for a heart condition. Only the last few days have I had this bloating my motions are usually quite loose anyway. Last week I had diarrorea for a couple of days. Thinking of going to doctor in morning to see what she suggests. I was told it would take 3 weeks before any appreciable effects. Waiting for an ICD operation in 4 weeks time so getting stressed over that usually sleep ok but wake at 5 or 6 and never drift off after that. All frustrating!

I take 100 mg of these tabs. I was on a smaller dose at first and then they were increased. I cant sleep I cant eat and I have to go out the room when my hubbys having something to eat. Ive constantly got the runs and im frightened go out.
    Ive told my doctor and hes given me pain killers for my tummy pains and anti sickness tabs. Yet even tho I cant eat Im still heaving and passing out cus of the lack of food Im having.
    Ive begun to think im an hyprochondriac and going mad.
    So glad ive read this. Thank you.
    Cant wait to let me hubby see this.

Laugh and the world laughs with you , cry and ? .....
    you need a bog roll. lol

How long have you taken sertaline for?
    I have most of the side affects you mention.

Hi im on my 4th week. I still not 100%. Im going through a seperation as well. Feeling very sad and alone.

Hi there,

I've been on 150mg for 5 months and still suffer with diarrhoea every single day. I wasn't sure if it was related until reading these posts. Have blood tests tomorrow to see what's what, but when I spoke to my doc he said to take diarrhoea tablets every couple of days to try to stay on top of it...

Must say, Lustral was the only SSRI (been on almost all of them at some point!) that gave me such bad side effects I just couldn't continue with them. When I took them I couldn't stop throwing up/having diarrhoea and would eventually black out. Doesn't surprise me too much that people are having stomach problems!

Saying that, remember that stomach problems - especially diarrhoea - are a symptom of anxiety. If you are having loose movements each day and you're anxious each day it may just be the anxiety. I certainly had that for years. If you're throwing up and having watery diarrhoea, it might be the tablets (or a tummy bug!)

There are loads of different SSRIs, so if the side effects are really bothersome then DO ask for a different kind. I found citalopram were the easiest to handle, but everybody's different.

Hi Clare,
    I started to feel overall better after 3-4 weeks at 50mg. My anxiety also got worst the first 3 weeks.
    Diarrhoea is a side effect that came late at around 3 weeks and stayed for 2 weeks. Got back to normal after that. For the appetite, I could not eat the first month I lost 3 kg but my appetite got back after I started to feel better and after 5-6 weeks I would eat the kitchen sink.
    I know the starting process can be rough but hang on to it you will feel better, it takes 3 to 6 weeks to start seing any improvement.
    Take care
    Helena

Hi Clare 201086.. I've got the same side effects as you, been nearly 3 weeks 50mg sertraline..diarrhoea, bloating, bad anxiety, stomach pains, muscular pain.. so I know exactly how you feel. I'm going back to doc to see if I should continue as not sure I can do this for much longer! I've been in tears with the boyfriend tonight again :( the anxiety and bad feelings are horrible Xx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information