Thread: Does food make benzos such as diazepam/valium effective or ineffective??

Does food make benzos such as diazepam/valium effective or ineffective??

At my previous address I was prescribed a pathetic dose of valium (2 mg tablets) so about 8mg-10mg then it was increased to 15mg which is still a low dose. Now I've moved to another city & the doc has prescribed 20-30mg of valium ( 10mg tablets). I take a little bit more around 30-35mg. I even take 40mg sometimes BUT it's not working! I don't feel any effect & I think it has something to do with the food. So I was wondering if it's more effective to take valium with or without food what food do you recommand I should eat?? Should I eat the food before or after taking my daily dose of valium?? I've been taking valium than eating foods like macaroni, cheese,baguettes & custard but the valium's not working is it cause of these foods?? Is it more effective for me to take valium on an empty stomach(in the morning or after a bowel movement) & not eat any food at all afterwards??

Re: Does food make benzos such as diazepam/valium effective or ineffective??

You obviously need to talk to your GP about this. Dependence is more likely the issue and the fact you exceed the prescribed dose isn't going to be helpful with that unless your GP approves it.

I agree with what Terry said. That's a really high dose and if it's not working you are likely tolerant to it's effects if you've been taking it a while. Do you take it every day or just sometimes? That said, definitely food will slow down the absorption of the meds.

Maybe I've become dependant it to so I have a tolerence to diazepam. Is it possible to undo the tolerence if I stop taking it for a few weeks then start taking it again??
    In regards of food I've been eating high fat food high in carbs before taking diazepam so does food affect the effectivness of diazepam & other benzos??
    Should I take it on an empty stomach?? Should I abstain from eating food after taking Diazepam??

Quote Originally Posted by Neutralview View Post
    Maybe I've become dependant it to so I have a tolerence to diazepam. Is it possible to undo the tolerence if I stop taking it for a few weeks then start taking it again??
    No.

In regards of food I've been eating high fat food high in carbs before taking diazepam so does food affect the effectivness of diazepam & other benzos??
    No. Food may slow its absorption a little, a few minutes, but not its effectiveness.

Benzodiazepines are not good primary, taken daily anti anxiety drugs. They should be reserved for temporary use when, for example, first taking antidepressants to reduce the initial heightened anxiety, or occasionally for breakthrough anxiety. Antidepressants and/or therapy a far better long-term bets.

No, if you are dependent you risk Rebound Anxiety and sudden withdrawal in dependence can be dangerous.

You need to talk to your GP. Using above their recommendation will be a concern for them to a address anyway but they need a better strategy for you anyway so it needs to be addressed in one.

Thread Information